Gastroparesis long term outlook

Posted , 4 users are following.

After nearly 2 years of constant illness, getting worse all the time, I have finally been diagnosed with Gastroparesis.   I have Type 2 Diabetes on Insulin, NASH, On lifelong Warfarin for recurrent DVTs and PEs, had Breast cancer and Mastectomy and a few other minor things.   This latest diagnosis and associated symptoms, is too much to bear.    Does anyone know what the long term prognosis is for this disorder?     I can’t eat or sleep for the constant 24 hours nausea with some vomiting.  I have lost over 3 stones recently.   I feel dreadful right now and at some point I have to go for a gastric emptying study.   Who knows how long that will take?    I know I sound pathetic but I don’t know much about this diagnosis and Google is not much help?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Diabetes can trigger gastroparesis.  If gastroparesis is caused by a reversible problem, for example pancreatitis, the condition will subside when the underlying problem resolves. In some people with diabetes, better control of their blood sugar will improve emptying of the stomach. If there is no reversible cause, gastroparesis rarely resolves. In fact, it may become worse with time. Gastroparesis is particularly difficult to treat when there are accompanying motility disorders of the muscles of the small intestine.

• Posted

Thank you for replying.  I’ve just had a CT scan of my abdomen etc and there was no problem with my pancreas.   Could you explain what you mean when you say it could get worse over time?   It’s taken so long to get a diagnosis and now it’s not good at all.   I can’t imagine what it will be like if it gets any worse?????
    • Posted

I mean the symptoms may get worse over time.  However, a lot depends on individual cases and their response to treatment.  Everyone is different and symptoms may vary. The prognosis I found when researching is very general.
  • Posted

HI there! I’ve had gastroparesis for two years! There are lots of Facebook groups that provide useful information! There is also a book called living well with gastroparesis that is really useful! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.