Gastroscope waiting results gastritis .

Posted , 1 user is following.

i had a gastroscope on Friday which was fine with mild sedation , my reason for having this test was I had indigestion and upper pain and acid reflux , I have always suffered with digestion problem and have mild diverticulitis and ibs, I am extremely healthy eat a good diet excercise don't drink or smoke and as I am 52 they advised me to have the test to see what was going on as the medication omprezole didn't agree with me and to be honest I wanted to know what was causing this before I took medication. I go back for results 2 weeks but nothing serious but took 2 biopsy some bloods for helibactor and said I have gastritis , I know when I see him he will explain in full and have all my results back , what I wanted to know what is this what the cause and the treatment and can it be cured? Look forward to any answers to my questions Jo 😀

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Joanne, I'm also 52 and have a similar background to you IBS for 25 years and gastritis for the last 6. I've also had a gastroscope which revealed atrophic gastritis. Unless your doctor is really up to date he probably won't tell you that IBS and gastritis could well be due to small bacterial intestinal overgrowth. When you have this imbalance in gut flora your body produces more and more stomach acid in order to kill off the bacteria, hence the IBS and gastriti. That's a simplified version of the theory! There are lots of diets out there that tackle the problem all of which are very low carb (to starve off the bacteria which feed on it) and most of these approaches don't recommend antibiotics as the bacteria generally comes back shortly after. I'm doing well on a no sugar low carb diet. Something else which I think is significant is your age (our age!) I'm in the peri menopause and my symptoms have become much worse since hormonal changes started. I'm convinced that at this time of life any 'weakness' you may have flares up. If you google this problem you'll find a lot of info. Good luck.   
  • Posted

Forgot to mention I can't take omepazole either and that's a good thing, you don't want to reduce the acidity in your stomach as this will only perpetuate the problem also once on that stuff it's difficult to get off because o the acid rebound. omeprazole only treats the symptoms and makes things worse in the long term; 
    • Posted

Himkerry thanks for telling ,e all about that bacteria , I think you are so right and you I have the same symptoms and problems, funnily enough I am looking at giving up hidden sugars and I have low carb, I will talk to my consultant on 24th see if he has any good advice and results of biopsy a, how did you know you had this bacteria ?? and you so right re menopause it is getting worse, I did have an early menopause at 38 so I am on low dosage hrt which helps with those dreadful symptoms and that is fine as I went private to discuss as you hear all these stories re hrt  but as I don't drink eat good diet excercise ,I am only putting back in what my body needs. I take a low dosage and keeps my skin good hair glossy amongst the things that happen at our age ,Nice to talk to someone who has the same and any good tips is always good to hear . Keep in touch Kerry will let you know my bloods and biopsy results . Jo 😀👍x
  • Posted

Would you believe an osteopath told me about it, I was seeing him for aches and pains which were unexplained and he said it was from my stomach. Let me know how you get on.
    • Posted

Funny you should say that I had a osteopath he says aching joints muscles connected to tummy disorders as feel like acid in my neck shoulders when tum erupts , I do allot of Pilates and private yoga lessons which has help all that . I work 30 years and just recently got redundancy which I wanted and vein not in a stressful work place my symptoms less also office work stations those chairs and working on pc don't help . Will message you next week , does help to talk on these forum but I do try not Google as you have everything wrong with you. 😏

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.