Gastroscopy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I am having a gastroscopy next week. I am a bit freaked out. I am also having a sigmoidoscopy at the same time. I will be asleep. I have IBS and Diverticulosis.

Any thoughts as to why I would require a gastroscopy?

Vivian

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

IBS can occur for many reasons, often because food is not being digested properly so the gastroscopy would be to look at whether there is anything in the upper GI tract that could be causing the problems in the lower GI tract. Good luck with the procedures.
    • Posted

Hi

Thanks for replying. What type of problems?

Vivian

• Posted

They look for sources of bleeding I would have thought. Ulcers, also bacterias called helicobacter. They can cause bleeding. It's a fairly normal investigation if you are bleeding. You be asleep so it should be comfortable for you too. Good luck
    • Posted

Thank you. I had colonoscopies and abdominal scans before. I feel a bit better now.

Vivian

• Posted

One more thing. Have you heard of diverticular collitis?

Vivian

• Posted

Derirverticular colitis can cause ulcers They looking again my colonoscopy procedure last week took tissue samples looking for IBS crones won't know until next week However all my pains on right side not left and now have gone right my colon checking all the way round They trying find out why end up in AE inflammation and keep ending up AE and in.hospital.Reason my CT scan was not normal last year as this September showed chronic dirvicular Seems to me depends what technician consultant reading the CT scans I'm now thank god under a new consultant re my care who's taking my condition seriously a bit to late Been in pain 16 months because the other consultant poo pood my pain on right as dirvicular disease usually on the left!!
    • Posted

Hi Melekie

I also have diverticulosis and IBS. Chronic pain on left side for months. Bowel movements irregular. I had a colonoscopy last year also. I was treated 4 times with antibiotics. I am also hoping for some answers. I will keep you posted. I go next week. I am having biopsies as well.

Vivian

• Posted

I been put on COLOFAC tablets this was given to me two weeks before my procedure it's helped so much with my stomach cramps pain I'm waiting tests for IBS however they now say my diverticular disease chronic so they made so many mistakes my care Now heads are rolling All I got from other consultant. Was to be taken off his team care because couldn't diagnose that some people have diverticular delete on right Reason the colonoscopy procedure they didn't fully go right round my colon on the right. I been in pain 16 months because of him.
    • Posted

I am taking bentylol for spasms. What country are in. I sm in Canada. I am hoping that my medical team is on track.

Vivian

• Posted

Anybody know if hemrrhoids can develop in the sigmoid area?

Vivian

• Posted

IM IN ENGLAND UNDER NHS and it's vastly going down hill with this government with their unrighteousness ideas re how to save money
    • Posted

Meant Un.bright ideas
    • Posted

I think you can in.desending colon.get Hemoroids. Not being crude but where your poo comes out back passage,
    • Posted

Hi Melekie

Thank you. Our system isn't any better. Thank you. I am thinking I may have that.

Vivian

• Posted

I will let you know re IBS it's usually another thing causes pain if you have diverticular desease I'm seeing consultantvnext week.re biopsy results I.don't have any polyps or tumours cancer However have thickening of my bowel and that means bowel colon. becomes narrow causing pain if food doesn't go through quick enough That's why I have been.told to eat alot of fibre. however it blows my stomach up wind so can't win.!!
    • Posted

ONE MY MESSAGES. Didn't go through on hold since yesterday maybe. because. I swore. Ranted. Hope. will. go through. was Pritty long. and detailed. helpful part from one swear words.
    • Posted

Hi Mekekie

I am having a sigmoidoscopy and gastroscopy tomorrow. I am nervous about the gastroscopy. I don't like any tubes down my throat specially sedated.

Vivian

• Posted

The tube doesn't go directly down.your throat it goes up your nose and hangs down your throat from there if they put directly down your throat you would choke
    • Posted

It says on the description it goes down the throat as it is flexible and they numb the area and put you to sleep. I don't know. I'm scared.

Vivian

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.