Gastroscopy advice please

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have got a gastroscopy scheduled for a couple of weeks time. I am told I can have sedation or just a throat spray. I don't know what to expect, or which is best. Can anyone advise me on this please?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi there are you in the U.K. If you are ask to have both it's only a light sedation so won't help much on it's own have spray as well I did you will be ok with both 

• Posted

I have to go in a month also I heard it doesnt hurt and that you will be sedated im nervous and honestly never had to go through this before. Lets just prsy for one another we should be fine.
    • Posted

Hi Janice 

I have had 5 endoscopes with the spray if you just relax and listen to your breathing  and it only takes approx  2 mins and before you know it it’s finished 

Then you get a tea coffee snack and hope you get your results there and then 

I’m sure it will all go well 

• Posted

Hi Alexandra

I had one last Tuesday,

Get the sedation for sure you wont feel a thing a have a little nap ,

And you will wake up in recovery room just a little groggy .

I had it done In Galway Ireland .

• Posted

Thank you all for your advice. I am going with the sedation option. Xx
  • Posted

I had an endoscopy yesterday (UK) and one in 2016. 

Ask for a lot of throat spray and sedation. I felt it on 2mg, it was uncomfortable, a bit painful but actually not intolerable whatsoever, I could do 2mg just fine again and feel that discomfort just fine, it is a short period of time. 

Some people however find that 2mg sedation works for them. 

I had 4mg in 2016 and had no recollection of the procedure. I didn't feel sore either, so I'm assuming it went really well tbh. 

I posted more about it on my other posts. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.