Gastroscopy and flexible sigmoidoscopy - sedation??

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I'm finally having a gastroscopy and sigmoidoscopy this afternoon.

I am still unsure if I would rather do the procedures with sedation or without.

I know it will be uncomfortable and unpleasant without sedation, but after the procedures are done I can walk out of the hospital straight away. I am also terrified of needles and the thought of being drowsy/not knowing what's going on.

I am very nervous about the whole thing, but I can generally handle uncomfortable situations quite well.

Would you recommend sedation or not?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had it done last March

Have the sedation it only last around ten mins.

And you can get up and leave the hospital after a few hours

• Posted

I had endoscopy last year. It's a somewhat uncomfortable but not anything one can't tolerate. Took around 2 to 5 mins.

• Posted

I just had an endoscopy last week and I had to be sedated, I've heard ppl say their Drs didn't require sedating but unfortunately mine did -_- I was terrified of sedation, I'd never been put out like that b4. I don't mind sedation if it's like the gas that just makes u out of it and loopy, but the thought of the IV in my arm and being put to sleep FREAKED me out...

• However, I went through w the procedure and it really wasn't bad at ALL. The anesthesiologist lady brought me in the room and was chatting with me while setting up so it distracted me, and then they basically walk u through it and put u to sleep right away so u don't have a lot of time to sit there and get nervous - which was good lol. So I would say really do not be too nervous about the sedating, it really wasn't bad at all.
    • But - if you have the option not to be sedated, and you think you can handle it then I'd prob just do that. No reason to be put to sleep and have those chemicals in u if u don't need it. I think I'd be so nervous during the procedure I may not handle something like that well. But if u think u can then do that!
  • Posted

I recommend without sedation I did last year in June but my experience was a very pleasant one I dint felt a thing but before the procedure I was terrified but after the procedure it was a piece of cake. They used a throat spray which made my throat numb and then it was just a mild discomfort nothing serious

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your replies!

I just got back home from the hospital and it was definitely an experience.

I opted to have the procedure done without sedation, it was extremely uncomfortable but was over very quickly. The nurses were amazing and made me feel much better.

The only thing I didn't like was watching them do the biopsies - mine were bleeding a lot and it just doesn't seem right. Nevermind, I'm glad it's over now!

• Posted

I had sedation with my endoscopy and was severely depressed after only a few hours after the procedure. I took three weeks to recover. I had two weeks solid of depression and it got better, but on the third week it came back again. I would opt for a throat spray instead for the gastroscopy and ask if any local spray can be used for the sigmoidoscopy. I was awake for the procedure and knew what was going on although drowsy. However, the drowsiness was not the problem, it was the depression. Sedation can aggravate existing anxiety so if you are already nervous, it may be counterproductive for your recovery.I had significant bruising from the canula which administered the sedation. Seeing this bruising made my depression worse and I had to cover it with a plaster and keep myself very busy indeed to cope.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.