Gastroscopy - No Sedation! Advice for anyone having it.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Today i went for my first gastroscopy (camera down throat to check stomach, duodenum and oeasophagus).

Before i went i was terrified, wasnt even going to go after reading some of the horror stories online.

I opted for no sedation - just throat spray because i hate hospitals and just wanted to get home.

Honestly... Im a very soft person when it comes to anything like this but im shocked i was even worried about it. It literally took 3 minutes (including biopsys) and i had no pain whatsoever.

When the camera went in i gagged once, which when i focused on my breathing like the nurses said went away - in total it lasted maybe 4 seconds. Other than that it was fine, i felt the air get blown in but it didnt hurt just made me feel windy, The biopsys are completely painless, i just heard the button make the noise that it was taking a biopsy.

The only reason im writing this is because if im honest im annoyed. If people had a bad experience (which i find quite hard to believe) then keep it to yourself, when someone is worried about it it doesnt help by telling them ''I'd rather die than go through that again''

Sooooo.... for anyone going for one who is worried and planning sedation i would recommend that you go against and just have the throat spray. It honestly is nothing to worry about. If i can do it, Anyone can.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Good for you Laura, I'm glad it all went well.   I've had the sedation, which isn't a big deal either.  Spread the word!
  • Posted

That is fine for some but for others sedation is a good idea. I have what is known as an upper endoscopy. It takes more time than what you experienced. More like 15 to 20 minutes as they go down past my stomach. There are different versions of this test. I would never do it without sedation. Everyone has different reactions to numbing medications and I can't even handle my mouth being numb for tooth fillings. I have opted for that with out novacain. So remember everyone is different and the proceedures are different as well. If a doctor advises someone sedation they should take it. When I go in they put the meds in my IV and the next thing I remember is coming to in recovery. I prefer it that way. I am glad you had a good experience, but not everyone does.
  • Posted

Some people DO have a bad time with itl Laura, not everyone has your experience, my neice just had the throat spray and had a bad panic attack,

Everyone is different

• Posted

l had one in the past years ago with sedation, no problems, so when offered choice last year went for sedation again, but changed my mind when prepping, due to after needs, re someone at home with you. We are all different, depends on procedure, how long, if inflammation beforehand, so l didnt find it easy and l dont like things put down my throat and l did gag a bit, but it was very  quick, and copeable with, no after affects, so didnt regret having it done that way, felt ok about it.

but its personal choice, either way its no big deal quickly over with.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.