Gastroscopy: nowhere near as bad as I was expecting

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, 

Having been helped by reading comments on here prior to my gastroscopy today, I felt I should add my contribution.

As a background, I don't like hospitals or the thought of any medical procedures at all, however my heartburn was affecting me every day and I needed to bite the bullet.

All nurses and the doctor were lovely and calm and friendly. After my assessment I was taken into the room, met the doctor and was administered the throat spray. I thought it was similar to the chloroseptic spray used for sore throats but much stronger and fast acting. I then lay on my side and the scooe was placed in my mouth and Teheran doctor said I would feel it on my to the, which I think I did, just. I don't remember if the doctor asked me to swallow or not but it passed painlessly down my throat. I was able to breathe normally and swallowed a few times but throughout soneone was auctioning to remove excess saliva.

I had about 7 or 8 biopsies taken and only vaguely felt a couple of them but compared to the pain of heartburn they were nothing, not even a twinge. I did feel a couple of times that I wanted the tube out of my mouth soon, but I just closed my eyes and breathed deeply and it wasn't a problem.

i had no after effects at all, not even a mildly sore throat, and have ben eating and drinking normally since an hour after the procedure started.

if I can do without sedation, anyone can. Please don't read all the scare stories on the internet. If you buy a fridge from Amazon, the people who will leave comments will be those who are not happy or who are delighted with the product, Not many people will bother to leave a neutral comment.

Be brave for 5 or 10 minutes and you will see that it's not worth worrying too much about! Everyone is on your side.

3 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi David,

I had my gastroscopy on Saturday, it went very well as I had it done private and they put me to sleep for it so no problems for me.  They said that it was all clear.  However, I have an appointment with my Gastro consultant at the private hospital next Wednesday so hope to find out more then and get to the bottom of my problem!

Thanks,

Amanda.

• Posted

I have managed to have 4 children with only gas and air, had a double fracture of my leg without any pain relief for hours ( I could hear the bones rattling) so I would describe myself as fairly brave. However, I have never felt as scared of anything as I have with this procedure. I opted for just the spray as I was told that even when you're sedated you're still aware. I quite fancied the reward of a glass of wine too. I gagged twice whilst the camera was being moved- both going down and coming back up. It was the worst thing I have ever had medically! I think this is less to do with pain and more to do with the fact that I felt like I was going to choke to death! Maybe we have different experiences as our gullets are different sizes or just that we have different fears! I know people do vary with their views, just thought I'd say for me it was really really bad!
  • Posted

It is good to hear that so many people are re getting through their gastroscopies as comfortably as possible.

magicmum, I empathise with you fully. Sorry you had a bad experience. I agree that people's individual response to pain varies enormously. I couldn't even think of going through what you have been through in terms of pain. 

I had a second gastroscopy today and was much more relaxed than before: same hospital, same team, same procedure. Everyone was beyond lovely.

However, this time I gagged quite a lot during the procedure. It made my eyes water; I felt a bit uneasy/embarrassed; it was slightly uncomfortable but I had no control over it. But I also noticed that after the slight panic of the gagging my breathing was in no way compromised, I was in no danger. The team had seen it all before and the nurse reassured me throughout with her and on my head and reassuring words.

So. If I can can have one fine and one not so fine experience, maybe people who have had an initial bad experience will have a good one next time.

What I would like to emphasise is that when I was gagging, yes, it felt horrible, but you have at least 3 highly trained medical practitioners giving you one on one care, and you couldn't possibly be in a better place. But the gagging, although it feels unpleasant isn't actually dangerous, it's just your body doing its job. You are being fully monitored all the time.

i will now probably have to have regular gastroscopies and this experience hasn't scared me off.  Be strong, and if your first experience of a gastroscopy is not ideal then the next may well be fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.