Gastroscopy result

Posted , 4 users are following.

I  was told that I had no acid reflux after my gastroscopy, just minimal gastritis, but I still get the feeling of a "lump" in my throat, making me want to clear it and then it is just the same again, so I feel I have times when I am constantly clearing my throat, but there is nothing there to cough up. Does anyone else have this problem?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Jane, it can be a psychological problem. That's not a criticism of you - I used to get it a lot when I was young, and still sometimes have it now in times of stress. I know how annoying it is when you have to keep clearing your throat, but paradoxically, it's the constant throat-clearing that produces the feeling of a lump.

If there was anything seriously wrong they'd have found it during the gastroscopy. The best thing to do is to bear in mind that it's not a serious health problem, which will make it easier to live with. Once you start accepting it and not concentrating on it too much, you'll find it gradually disappears.

What I do when I get recurrences of this problem (like in the past couple of weeks when I've had a lot to cope with) is put off clearing my throat as long as I possibly can before giving into it. If I'm firm with myself about this, I find the problem gradually goes away - well, for the time being anyway! I started having this as a child or a young teenager and it peaked in my 20s. I'm in my 70s now, and while it's never completely gone away, it's improved out of all recognition over the last 50 years. And it ain't got me yet!biggrin

• Posted

Thank you, I do agree , you are probably correct as I do suffer a bit with anxiety, but have only had this in the last year, also finding it hard to take a deep breath at times, which I have solved by breathing properly! ( I used to get that as a young child too) The dr who did my gastroscopy said that if I take a sip of water instead,  when I need to clear my throat it might take weeks, but will gradually make it stop ( hopefully!) my mother used to clear her throat a lot even in her 40s, I and she is now still fairly healthy at 89!! I think it was nerves with her too,  I do find that if I drink wine it is worse, and anything fatty like chocolate is not good, so maybe just the odd treat!!
    • Posted

Totally agree about the chocolate! I have Sjogren's syndrome (an auto-immune condition) that causes thickening of the upper respiratory secretions, among other things. Eating any kind of chocolate or dairy, especially milk chocolate (double whammy!) is a complete no-no for me after mid-afternoon. If I forget myself and eat chocolate in the evening, I have a terrible night - constantly waking up with my throat completely blocked to the extent I can sometimes neither swallow nor breathe! Fortunately wine doesn't cause the same problem. However, I'm discovering as I move into my 70s that my stomach is showing the first signs of not appreciating wine any more!sad
    • Posted

Yes, unfortunately I think certain things seem to be a problem as we get older, it's the same with certain food. I had lunch with a friend this week and had a couple of glasses of wine, and suffered all night with very uncomfortable indigestion!
  • Posted

Hi Jane,

I too have the feeling of a 'lump' in my throat and this a the moment is preventing me from eating solid foods!  I have had a camera test and this was all clear, however, I have an appointment with my Gastro dr to go through my results properly tomorrow so I will see what is said and if there is anything else that can be done for it.  I am currently on medication for acid reflux Lansoprazole 30mg daily.  Are you on any medication for it and are you able to eat with it?

Thanks,

Amanda.

• Posted

Yes I am able to eat normally, and I don't get  the lfeeling of a lump in my throat all of  the time. I am not taking any medication now as my gastroscopy showed no sign of acid reflux ( just mild gastritis) I  was on Lansoprazole before the test but it didn't help . I do find that cutting out fatty things like chocolate helps, and drinking less wine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.