Gastroscopy results freaking out

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I recently had a gastroscopy done, before the doctor even sat down to tell me my results I knew something was wrong. His first reaction was “oh wow, we definitely have some problems here.” And was generally shocked. 

He told me I had a ulcer in duodenal ulcer, and kept asking me if I take a lot of ibruprofean (which I don’t) he also took biopsies to check for an infection however I did a stool sample before this to check if I had it and it came back negative. I was told to book a doctors appointment in 2 weeks for my results. 

My mum was talking to her friend about my results (her friends a nurse) & I overheard her friend say about the biopsies not too worry me. This has made me think that maybe they are also checking for other things like cancer. 

Do they normally take biopsies? And if they thought that it might be cancerous would they tell you straight off that they are checking for it? With the doctors reaction to my stomach I’m a little nervous and my results don’t come in until 13/04/18. Any insight would be great 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes I have had a few gastrocopys they always take biopsies for lots of reasons. . 
  • Posted

Yes they are taking biopsies almost all the times..... please note duedonedal ulcer is comon...not rare...

Its cased by chronic gastritis. it can be even from mutated helicobacter resistant to antibiotics.... or gallbladder disorder or fungal infection.... there are plenty of factors that have to be tested before suh a diagnosis has to be taken....you have to watch yourself.... anxiety is defo main attribute in your condition or can became.

I would not let it eat my brain... its not easy... be strong and positive. Its most likely nothing serious.

• Posted

Don't worry too much, all endoscopy procedure with biopsies is the best instead of just endoscopy. What were your symptoms?

• Posted

Biopsies are often taken for all sorts of reasons during an endoscopy. Ulcers are very common!  Doctors would tell you if they were looking for cancer or if they found cancer,  You can always ask them straight out about this since are worried.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.