Gastroscopy with General Anesthesic

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

Has anyone every had a gastroscopy done with GA?

Thanks.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sorry I have spelt that wrong! 

• Posted

yes make sure you get put to sleep, i was not and wish i had he pushed it down that fast and pulled it out that quick, that i thought he could nt make a clear picture, it makes you gag. they sprayed the back of my throat, with a banana flavoured spray

good look.

• Posted

Hi Mark,

Thanks for replying.  I am under a private doctor and he has said that he is happy to do it under GA as I am so nervous about having it done. Hope that your results were ok?

Amanda.

• Posted

Hi Amanda

I had an endoscopy (gastroscopy) done on Monday 2 March without GA.  Although I was a nervous wreck thought it best not to have GA as the lady who had it done just before me took ages to wake up from GA.  It's slightly more distressing being fully awake but apart from the horrible tasting throat spray used to numb the throat and the initial bit where they add a tooth guard and put the scope in, you don't feel a thing.  If I had to have it done again, I'd still not have GA and I'd not be such a nervous wreck.  Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and for the reassurance.  I am having mine done privately this weekend and because I am so nervous my gastro dr is going it under GA.  I am still nervous about having it done but have been told that I will be in hospital longer but its on a Saturday so at least I am off work for a couple of days to get over it all.  What puts you off the GA was it just the longer to wake up and longer in hospital?  I am just so worried about having it done and I really need it doing to get to the bottom of my problems that it is propably the best way for me. Hope that your results were ok?

Thanks,

Amanda.

Amanda.

• Posted

Hi Amanda

I was diagnosed with a sliding Hiatus Hernia and a faulty sphincter valve which isn't working properly allowing acid to come up into my throat.  I've just gotta keep taking the Omeprazole and Gaviscon and have an extra pillow to raise my head in bed.  I didn't want to have GA and although I was petrified of having it done without GA, I wanted tobe awake and knowing what was going on.  The doc and 2 nurses were brilliant reassuing me all the time and telling me what was going on which made it more bearable.  No after affects and believe me its worth having it done as they tell you what you may or may not have straight away.  Everybody gets nervous at the thought of it but remember the endoscopist is doing the same thing all day, every day,so he sure as Hell knows what he's doing! I hope it all goes well for you this weekend.

More importantly, hope they find nothing wrong!! 

• Posted

You don't need to go as far as a GA, sedation is sufficient. I have had two done now with sedation and an op last month under GA and to be honest you can't tell the difference. You are asleep both ways.

You really have no need to worry, Do you drive a car? Do you worry everytime you get in a car that you will be in a serious accident? As others have said they do this every day and since you are going privately you won't be getting the newbie who hasn't done it many times, you will be getting a serious professional and that is what you are paying for.

Afterwards you will wonder why you were so concerned.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.