Gastrosocopy failure

Posted , 3 users are following.

I tried to have this yesterday and was advised to have sedation. however I never felt the slightest sedated and in spite of trying to push this thing down my throat they admited failure.

i would still like to see if there is anything sinister in my throat or stomach and wonder if there are any alternatives to the aborted procedure.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Did you tell the doctor that the sedation was not working? I should imagine it's frustrating for the medics, too, when the procedure has to be aborted and if a little more sedation would do the trick that surely should be one way forward.

I hesitate to suggest this as we are all so different but did you consider no sedation?. That was my choice as I find the idea of not knowing what is happening frightening.

I was given an illustrated leaflet explaining the procedure which was reassuring. After the throat spray was given a minute to take effect I was told to stay as relaxed as possible and to swallow when told to. This felt to me like swallowing a lump of dry bread. I was then able to watch the picture on the screen.

Hope you soon get reassurance.

• Posted

Thank you to BettyE for that reply. No I didnt think to mention to anyone that I didnt feel relaxed in the slightest. About 15 years ago i had this procedure at Bromley hospital without sedation and although I didnt like it I got through it. This was somehow different and I wondered if there was something in my throat that seem to make a difference.. By the way I now where apostrophes go but cant be bothered to put them in.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.