Gastrpparesis vs Pancreatitis

Posted , 7 users are following.

How can you tell the difference between Gastroparesis and Chronic Pancreatitis?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I would like the answer to that question too. I have had abdominal pain and back pain for months. My blood work comes back normal. I have had 2 ct scans and 3 ultrasounds and an endoscopy that showed gastritis but the pain is unbareable.
    • Posted

Consider having a HIDA scan to check to see if your gallbladder is functioning properly. 

As for this topic, I believe gastroparesis just causes you to feel full very quickly and just an overall sick feeling, while chronic pancreatitis is extreme pain in the upper abdominal area, sometimes in the back with nausea and occasionally vomiting.  You'll know if it's pancreatitis, the pain is horrible, like call an ambulance horrible. 

• Posted

A good question. I myself am unable to comment on it but would like to see comments of others.
  • Posted

Pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas. Gastroparesis is when the stomach doesn't empty properly.

• Posted

I had a HIDDA scan and everything checked out. I'm waiting on a MRI next week to see if anything comes from that. Right now I'm in the process of finding another GI dr. I know the difference between the two diseases, but the symptoms are so much the same. That one morning to the ER I did call an ambulance

• Posted

I have been to er twice and several tests and still no diagnosis. It is frustrating!
  • Posted

With pancreatitis one should have lipase enzyme levels elevated, amylase often only jumps in acute.

If normal lipase then gallstones and autoimmune pancreatitis need exclusion if still suggestion of pancreatitis.

Gastroparesis will be well documented with a nuclear gastric emptying test. There is really not much doubt about gastroparesis (my daughter has it and quite severe at the moment surviving on liquid diet and trying to escape the jejunal tube feeds.)

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.