gaul stones

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all!  I have just recently discovered this forum, and would like some advice please.  I have just recently had an ultra sound, and discovered that I have gaul stones.  the pain was so bad that not even paracetamol helped on friday night, and I had to call the out of hours doc who was very nice, and gave me a pain killing injection, and stronger pain killers. he suggested that instead of using semi skimmed milk, i use full skimmed, and instead of eating digestive biscuits, i eat oat cakes. can anyone give me any diet tips please?  He also said that the only thing really, would be to have the gaul bladder removed, but i'm a bit sceptical, and would like other users views on this.  he said if i did have this done, i could eat almost anything.  please give me your views on these points, also help with the diet thing.  I have losgt a tremendous amount of weight, and sometimes don't feel like eating.  thanks in anticipation.  Val

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Val, I have the same problem with my gallbladder. My doctor said to adoid fatty foods. I would get yours taken out or it will only get worce. Look up some things on, what would happen if you do not get it taken out. I am sure you will have a different view point on the whole thing after. smile Best of luke to ya
    • Posted

Hi Malisa!  everyone has been so helpful in the forum, and i'm so grateful. you don't feel so alone. i've tried to find totally fat free meals and snacks, but i'm having an awful job! when i go back to my gp on the 21st if not before if the pain gets too bad, i'm going to insist that she puts me on the gaul bladder removal list.  Thanks again Malisa for getting in touch.  Val.
  • Posted

I recommend just having it out because with me trying to eat special foods just triggered more attacks. It's a very simple procedure  and I tell you , it's so worth it.

G ail

• Posted

Hi Gail!  Thanks so much for taking the time to post your thoughts.  i've been so grateful to everyone on the forum for their thoughts on this. i'm finding it very hard getting things that i can eat, and when i go to see my gp on the 21st if not before, if the pain gets too bad, i'm going to insist that she push for the gaul bladder removal.  Val.
    • Posted

I have so many symptoms. 

Gastritis I've had some awful bouts of diarroreah and constipation too. I have heartburn nearly every day. Wind pain in my stomach wakes me every morning. I will get random pain bloating and nausea. Still my doc says my gb is fine. 

Can I ask a question pls ?

Is 83% ejection after a fat meal ok ? Or is that high ? Before a meal it was 55% 

• Posted

Have a hida scan done before making any decisions... To make sure if you really do have gallstones... Only have it out if it absolutely  necessary.  There are problems/pain even after you have it removed. Do you have bile duct blockage???   It is not always the answer... Find the problem first, dont just jump into surgery. Do your homework.  Do you have a hital hernia causing the problem? Or gastroparesis?   Where is the pain (area) and do you have vomiting/nausea???    Change you diet!!! google low foodmap diet.   Keep a food diary, EXTREMELY important and you will know your triggers.... google gallbladder foods also.   Eat small meals, chew your food very well, stay away form the hard to digest foods.  GO to the GI Motiity Forum and amazing helpful info... Take a digestive enzyme to help digest your foods, take a good probiotic, IMPORTANT... B12 also.  For starters....  It saved my life... I was in  the same boat a year ago...Be your own advocate,   Only drug I need is if the vomiting gets out of control.  NO OTHERS..... I do all natural remedies.  take care
    • Posted

Hi Bee!  I've definitely got gaul stones as i've had an endoscopy and ultra sound scan, as my gp thought i had a hiatus hernia.  The endoscopy was clear, and only showed one small pollop just below my left rib, which, they took a biopsy of, but said it was nothing!  however, the guy who did the ultra sound, told me that there were definitely quite a number of gaul stones, and even if they tried to disolve them, they would only return, and the only alternative was  to have the gaul bladder completely removed!  The doc who came on Friday night, or should i say Saturday morning said exactly the same.
  • Posted

Valerie, I can relate to the pain.  I had one attack that lasted 3 days.  When I saw the doc, we went thru the options and I chose the wait and see option.  The second attack I ended up in the hosp.  Anyway, I had surgery about 6 weeks ago and I feel better than I have in years.  Reminds me of when I had my hysterectomy, I just feel better!  Leep to your low fat diet--that what's took me to the the ER (Taco Bell).  But now I can eat anything!  Good Luck.
    • Posted

Hi Nancy!  Thanks for the comment, and i'll certainly consider having it out, as I wouldn't like that pain too often!  Val.
  • Posted

Wow more people are having gaul promblems. I have commented on by problems in the past. My next is to have a scan call Hepatobiliary HIDA w/ef. Hopefullly this will tell us if it should come out.  Will let you all know the results.
  • Posted

Hi all those who have been interested in me on this forum.  Since I  last posted, quite a  lot has been going  on with me!  I  was taken into hospital in the early hours of Thursday 20th November with severe pain.  After taking blood tests, which were very bad, they kept me in.  They decided to remove the gaul bladder on the Friday.  Being me, things just don't go straight forward!  When they tried to remove the gaul bladder, it got stuck.  so they had a  battle with that!  Then, after taking more xrays, they discovered that i  had at least 4  stones in the bile duct.  ofcourse, they couldn't do it then and i  had to go back on Monday to have them removed, and it turned out there were 5.  Anyway, the dreaded things out, and i  got home yesterday.  Thanks to everyone who has been so interested in me, and hope you'll all keep in touch
  • Posted

Hi Sally!  Just to let you know since last posting on the forum quite a  lot has happened.  In the early hours of Thursday 20th November, I  was admited under emergency to hospital.  to Cut a  long story short, they've now removed the gaul bladder. not without drama!  I  got home yesterday.  Val.
    • Posted

You poor thing !!!!! 

But t now it's out your alive ( always everyone's fear when facing an operation) and you just need to rest and recover. 

Dont start thinking I feel ok so I will sweep or Hoover or lift the shopping bags out of the trolley cos you'll ache for a couple of days like you've been punched in the bag and tummy by mike Tyson. It took 6 weeks for my abdominal muscles to heal and for my core strength to return fully 3 months. 

Just take diet as an experiment try new foods a little a time and see how your digestion is. 

I think you either get left with a liver which drips too much bile into your tummy or too little so diarrhea or constipation or your liver is on the target bile wise. Whichever it's just adjusting diet to accommodate your new digestion. 

Now enjoy life enjoy your new diet rejoice in the foods you've missed and be prepared to put weight on cos it's so nice to be able to stuff yourself with delicious food again smile

Lots  of love 

sally xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.