Gaviscon and Zantac, can we take it together?

Posted , 4 users are following.

This morning I have breakfast with lacteeze milk as I am lactose intolerance. In the milk it says enzyme. After drinking it, I feel indigestion.So i bought gasviscon but dont know if it is interact with Zantac so that I can take it at night. Any help will be appreciated. I have reflux so I take Zantac at night before going to bed. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello Thi, there seem to be quite a few claims that zantac and gaviscon are safe together, and doctors having prescribed both.
    • Posted

Thanks Paul, how about Nexium and gasviscon for I take nexium in the morning before breakfast and Zantac at night. I am worrying of leng term use of Gasviscon though it says on the label that there is no alluminium but on the net it says contain alluminium. So confuse now. Alluminum can damage kidney. 
  • Posted

I guess you can take them on the sme day, but not at the same time.
    • Posted

Hi Papote, one of the things I read about the same-time matter is below, so maybe it'll be ok. I would be inclined to take the zantac a while before the gaviscon just in case.

"My LO was pescribed both whilst in SCBU and was given both at the same time which we also did on discharge with no problems,  so yes you can. Neonatal consultants do this all the time from what I heard and they deal with alot of reflux more than GPs so dont worry.

• Posted

I dont know why your reply is waiting for moderated Paul
  • Posted

Hi, the same thing applies regarding nexium and gaviscon, but if you could give the nexium a headstart, some say an hour or two, before the gaviscon, that could be a surer thing. Gaviscon does contain aluminium, though only a very small amount will enter the blood stream, and most of that will be passed out with urine. You can read a lot more about it below, if the link will be allowed, which might ease your mind on the matter.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=1076&tid=34

• Posted

It's perfectly OK to take all the different types of acid neutralising and suppressant medication together - meaning the same day, not at the same moment.

PPIs (eg omeprazole) and H2 blockers (eg ranitidine / Zantac) are suppressants and should not be taken within 2 hours of any other acid reduction medication or they may not dissolve and be absorbed adequately.

If your lacteeze milk is a trigger, you'll need to find a suitable alternative. What about Soy milk (though there may be concerns about this product which you'll find if you Google it and find the EmpoweredSustenance website) or Almond milk?

• Posted

Thanks Barretts. In the lacteeze milk it has enzyme so I thought it would be good for me so it could be it. I tried soy milk before I have reaction for in Australia they put vege oil in the milk. I bought the one in Asian market, fresh still have problem except for the soy milk baby formular but it is so expensive. I will try Almond.

Thanks

• Posted

Hello Thi, the message being moderated is because of a site link just giving info about aluminium, so you could learn about how much is in the likes of gaviscon. In fact I realised this morning that the gaviscon strawberry chewable tablets I sometimes use seem to be aluminium-free, though they might not be as efficient for your needs. There is the double-action variety, and I think an Advance one.

The other part of my message was regarding the taking of nexium and gaviscon, and, as Barretts says, a delay between taking one then the other, though there seem to be instances where they're given together, and of doctors saying they can be, which is confusing for sufferers. I would aim for the delay Barretts states, though of course your doctor would advise you as well.

• Posted

Slightly deviating. I'm not aware of any research regarding concommitant use of alginate (Gaviscon) and H2RA (eg Zantac) but last December there was a research paper published in Pharmacotherapy about "Concomitant Administration of a Histamine2 Receptor Antagonist and Proton Pump Inhibitor Enhances Gastric Acid Suppression."

It had been thought the H2RA would have prevented the action of the PPI but rather the opposite: "When a PPI and H2 RA were administered concomitantly 30 minutes before breakfast, the H2 RA did not decrease the acid suppressive ability of the PPI; rather, it improved gastric acid control."

• Posted

Hello Chris, the variation in what doctors tell their patients seems to be the issue, and it makes me wonder if they base it on the severity of the symptoms in individual cases, and if they are likely to be short-term due to the cause, so that it might not matter too much how riigidly the rules are adhered to? Or maybe it's just poor doctoring in some cases. It's certainly confusing for anyone who wants to have these things at specific times and then finds contradictory medical opinions.

Enjoy your ride through Burma! Should be wonderful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.