GBS

Posted , 5 users are following.

Anyone one out there in a similar position ? I was diagnosed coming upto a year ago of being appointed to this rare condition known as GBS... Guillain Barrre Syndrome. I have gone a slow strength to strength and still a way to go ...Have You??

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joanne,

It certainly is a rare condition and not very nice from what I have read. We have details on this site regarding the actual disorder:

https://patient.info/health/guillain-barre-syndrome-leaflet

What exactly did you wish to know, I have not spoken to anyone yet that suffers from this disorder but I'm sure if anyone has they will come forward.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Yes you are right. Think I could write a book on from the very beginning of being totally independant as a nurse on a busy ward to being a patient!! It is not nice and still is'nt but there are people in a worse situation as myself. I have my legs/ankles/muscles/feet affected. In my case it did not ascend as it can. Therefore very lucky in that respect. Thankyou  for the link.
  • Posted

i believe babara windsor had that , she was ill for quite awhile but believe with the right treatment you recover well. sorry if iv got mixed up bu ti am pretty sure iv got it right
    • Posted

Ah cool. Thanks. Didnt know that. Don.t know if I would hear from her though.
    • Posted

Barbara Windsor had the Epstein Barr Virus according to the BBC news in 2003, when she was apparently 65, which puts her at 76 now,  I know she's been around for a long time but I hadn't really thought she was that old.

Sorry,  I digress!!

• Posted

thanks yes i am an idoit your right she did iv just looked it  up .theres that many theses days i knew she had it for a long while and was really poorly

apparently it says in the article, its an adult version of glandular fever, glad someones on the ball.  MIND U I HAVE HEARD THE ABOVE ILLNESS LINKED ONE SOMEONE FAMOUS.

• Posted

Tony Benn and Franklin D Roosevelt and Joseph Heller apparently!
    • Posted

yes and more recently it was reported that brad pitt had it.
  • Posted

hi I thought I had this condition back in January 2010 I was fine one day and paralysed from waist down day after was really quick..spent 5 months in hospital receiving treatment went from wheelchair to now mobile again and independent although still slow walking..I was dx with devics disease/NMO very rare condition still stable and life's good..never give up hope can always recover.
    • Posted

Thankyou. That also sounds very difficult!! Well done you. Keep up the good work. Yes I also get very tired walking. Stop start stop start that's me. How do I do a job in the NHS?. My determination. Thanks again for yr comments.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.