GBS Speech Loss and Sweallowing

Posted , 4 users are following.

Dear Friends,

I feel like my case is mild compared to many I have read here. I live and work in Vietnam and I can't find many answers here. I was released from 2 weeks in ICU 2 weeks ago. My biggest problems are speech loss, phlegm and tired jaw (from talking or eating) make me not understandable at times, and difficulty swallowing with phlegm and tired jaw again the reasons for difficulty. I don't feel much improvement since I was released from the hospital.

My questions are will my speech and swallowing improve?  If so, how long might it take?  I coach a swim team and need to talk for hours every day.  Thanks alot for any help you can give!  I am very happy to answer any questions anyone has about my condition.  Cheers,  MB

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had problems with speech and chewing at my lowest point. The nerves were affected in my face and I would get so tired trying to chew and my speech would slur as I would try to talk. Mine did get better and I can't even tell it now. I was told that the nerves can regenerate if they are not too damaged. It's apparently a 2 to 5 year recovery period for GBS depending on severity but there is apparently a lot of recovery that occurs within 6 months. My speech and chewing got better pretty quick though (in a couple weeks). Then sometimes I could tell it if I overdid it as I got better but other people couldn't see it I could just feel the deficits. I had Physical Therapy for balance issues and leg & hand strength but I bet you can get specialized help if you continue to have trouble. I am coming up on my 2 year anniversary with this and I had a milder case but it affected most of my body without paralysis or breathing issues. Good luck to you! I completely understand how frustrating this can be! Did you receive treatment in the hospital?
  • Posted

Everyone heals at their own pace but you will get better.  My hematologist has just returned to work after battling gbs.  Most everything, she says, will come back 100% but you may have issues in some area, as well.  Very tough syndrome and you have to take of yourself and take one step at a time during your recovery.  Best of luck to you.  
  • Posted

I received immunoglobulin treatment for 5 days. In the hospital for 2 weeks but only remember about 4 days. No physical therapy but I am trying to find a speech pathologist here in Saigon to help me.  If anyone knows any exercises I can do I would really appreciate it.  Or any websites that might help me with speech and swallowing.  Thanks!
    • Posted

Research into exercises you can do for speech therapy and about swallowing.  Keep digging until you either find an answer or can find a doc who can find an answer.
  • Posted

My son had it two years ago he is still recovering depends on perso. And amount of damage it did sorry know its not alot to go on but thats what they keep telling us occupational and speech therapy will help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.