GCA

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have just come out of hospital following loss of vison. Had a biopsy and found it to be Arteritis. I can see fairly well now although my left eye is blurred. This weekend I found I couldn't copLast Octobere with the headache, all I want to do is sleep, I have indigestion which doesn't leave me, the sun is brilliant but my eyes don't like it. My mouth is sore I can't taste anything if I eat, as an insulin dependent diabetic my bm's are through the roof. Last October I had a left Nephrectomy for Nutcracker Syndrom, since then I never picked up and once again an emergency admission for failure of right kidney which they have said it is hydronephrosis. I can't do both. But I want to live on for my family, please help...

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You have a serious and chronic systemic illness - your body is asking for you to sleep in an attempt to help it heal, it is a common effect. You shouldn't be running around trying to live normally - behave as the poorly person you are at present. It WILL get better. In a year you will look back and see how far you have come - everyone does however awful the beginning was. 

Is there any possibility the burning mouth and the ingidestion are connected? Reflux can lead to horrible mouth symptoms. You should have been put on stomach protection medication - a PPI such as omeprazole is common. However, for about 1 in 3 people they don't work so if you ARE taking one and still have the gastric problems you may need a higher dose or a change to ranitidine/Zantac which does the same thing but works on a different principle.

Where are you?

• Posted

Forgot - the blood sugar problem is common with pred and I suggest you speak to your diabetes team about cutting carbohydrates drastically. It is now recommended by even the American Diabetes Association for medium term BS control - for some reason they think it isn't something people can do long term. Blowed if I can understand why not as I know plenty of people who manage it just fine as a lifestyle change.

• Posted

Too right!  I have so much trouble allowing myself to eat carbs now, much as I need to in order to gain weight.  It just doesn't seem right anymore.  And when making the lifestyle change I bcame aware for the first time how very much wheat I was consuming!

• Posted

A few years back I decided to try a no carb diet, look back now I don't think anyone thought it was a good idea. I was riding the bike 4-5 days a week and planning a metric century. Did the century with no problems, with no drop in performance. We just do not need the carbs, did not do much for my diabetes, I went back to eating my favorite food, pasta. Just have figure out what is important!

• Posted

I am on omperazole, the doc sid I can take two if  i was really bad, in hospital the irst 10 days I was given two then dropped to one when I came home.
    • Posted

Does it help? As I say, for about a third of people it simply doesn't work. Experiment a bit. Gaviscon also helps. And so does cutting carbs - it is a multi-faceted measure for helping several problems.

• Posted

I live in North Yorkshire and returned from hospital on the 21st June, feeling very poorly. Now my Liver and Kidney have started playing up. I am not allowed to take paracetamol anymore for the headaches . I have been taking morphine for the last2 yers, doc wrote me up for tramadol but neither of thes two drugs helps with headaches. I find that a cold flannel on my forehead helps. Now they have put me on omeprazole, bu didn't give it to me in the hosp. Do these docs want us to have ulcers as well as GCA? i don't seem to be able to taste much at present, tho the taste I do have always appears to be creamy and it's awful. My son has been a massive support through all ths, he lives about 7 miles away. Whilst in hosp they called my daughter and she visited driivng up from Leicester for a day. I think she was a bit frightened, and I also think the hisp hould have said that they had calle her and told me how poorly I was, But hey ho, just had a pretty good night except for kidney being a plonker.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.