GCA and Prednisolone

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am wondering if anyone has had these symptoms.  I have been taking Prednisolone since March 2016 for GCA.  Had a bad time with side effects and sideffects from Omeprazole and Ranitidine.  However, I am now down to 3/4mg Prednisolone on alternate days.  About 4 weeks ago I started getting terrible pains at the back of my head, back of neck, top of back, one of the vertebrae in middle of back, thighs, bottom of back and I still have these ongoing pains.  Is this a common symptom of reducing Prednisolone? I also have a general feeling of being unwell some days and slight nausea.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

No - not from reducing pred I wouldn't think. Not wanting to sound depressing but I do think you should speak to your doctors because if someone quoted those symptoms I would be concerned it could be GCA - the headache is commonly occipital, at the back of the head. BUT - the localisation of pain along your spine could be indicating something else.

• Posted

Though on reflection - have you had any such problems previously during these low doses of pred? And how fast did you reduce from about 3mg?
    • Posted

Thank you for replying.  I was on an initial dose of 60mg but was soon dropped to 40mg.  I was 4mg from 6 March2017 and then 3mg from 2 April but  then my ESR went up to 26 (it had been consistently at 6  to  10 before then) so I went back up to 4mg on 19 April then down to 3mg and 4mg on alternate days since 19 May.  My ESR is now 16 and CRP 5.  I saw my Rheum on Monday and explained about the pains etc and he thinks it is wear and tear and to stay on the 3/4mg dose.  
    • Posted

But your ESR is rising/higher than its lowest range - and that suggests to me that 4mg is better for you than 3mg or even 3/4mg. Even when the dose is only minimally too low it works like a dripping tap - eventually the bucket of inflammation fills to the top and overflows. And half a mg can make a BIG difference. 
  • Posted

Hi, what was the initial dose of Pred you started to take and how did you taper down?

Did you stay on th the same dose for the last 4 weeks since the pain started? Have you seen your Rheum since then? 

I have PMR and the symptoms you describe are familiar to me. It seems to me that you got below the dose your body needs right now and you have to go up with the dose to get it under control again.

Eileen and others have more knowledge and will give you are more detailed response, but give them the information I asked at the top.

All the best!

• Posted

Fandango, I am on 30 mg of Predinisone and Omeprazole and think all of my side effects are from the Predinisone.
    • Posted

At 30 mg. I had constipation, sleepless night, leg cramps,  anxiety AND a buffalo hump in back (Cushings syndrome-caused from too much prednisone) Hump has subsided as I reduced prednisone. I understand that PMR is usually controlled at 12-15mg per day.
  • Posted

I think nausea can be a sign of adrenal insufficiency, which is a temporary condition after being on pred, necessitating a very slow taper even when disease is in remission.  It's possible some of the pains could also be a sign, although I don't really know.  You definitely need to be checked, sooner rather than later.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.