GCA symptoms

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All,

update on progress this week: been taking 30mg pd for 9 days now, CRP and ESR levels normal on day 5 but persistent pain in temples continues. Spoke with GP on Friday who advised against increasing to 60 mg as inflam markers low and pain on both sides is atypical. Have been referred for head scan (possible post breast cancer mets) and to see a local rheumatologist.

Yesterday awoke with swollen puffy eyes and took anti-histamine. Today woken at 5.30 feeling febrile and achey with more severe temple pain - head in a vice, and both eyes swollen above and below lids. Have called 111 and am waiting for clinical call back. Have taken paracetamol and antihistamine.

Does GCA present like this with creeping worsening symptoms?

Happy Sunday!

Best t regards

Heron

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, each person is different I think, I started with headaches, but after being put on Naproxin, they cleared and came back at night. I wasn't diagnosed for 3yrs. (no-ones-fault) and it was only when they re- examined the artery biopsy G.C.A. was confirmed. I had jaw ache at first, loss of weight, then swollen temporal arteries, then double vision, all, over approx. 3 0r 4 weeks. I was started on 40mgs. of Pred. My markers were nearly always high, hope you have good news.

• Posted

Hi Catherine,

spent the morning in casualty, CRP 19 so now on 60mg pd for 2 weeks. temple pain and sensitive scalp, eyes very swollen, sore and puffy. Hard to decide if steroid allergy but inflam markers and temporal pain suggest GCA.

such is life. my breast cancer last was an aggressive form, so despited being node negative and bloods being all clear in Aug after my chemo/immuno therapy ended, my GP is going to follow up and make sure all is well on that front. I've also been referred to a rheumatologist locally.

many thanks

best regards

Heron

• Posted

Hi Heron82, I'm sure all will be well, after being sent for Pet/ct scans, Bone marrow tests etc. Iwas climbing the walls. They were just ruling out other things as I'm sure you know after what you have been through. in 2015, one of my markers was 121 and I was frantic! Take care and look after yourself.

• Posted

It can yes. Of course the markers are low - you are probably taking enough pred to keep the liver from producing them in response to what inflammation there is.

And for goodness sake - what is it that makes them think pain on both sides is "atypical" and therefore not GCA? It just means it is less common ...

https://www.rheumatologyadvisor.com/home/decision-support-in-medicine/rheumatology/giant-cell-arteritis-temporal-arteritis/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4173245/

https://bpac.org.nz/BPJ/2013/June/arteritis.aspx

all mention the possibility of bilateral pain.

• Posted

Hi Eileen,

had an appt with Rheumatologist who said my PMR is atypical as it does not involve my shoulders and arms. It never have I am glad to say, instead it manifests in my hips, groin, thighs, calves, ankles, feet and hands. I kept being asking me if my legs were stiff; I can't describe them as stiff, instead they feel swollen, aching, heavy and leaden and when I move it is like walking through treacle in that my movement is sluggish and I just cant walk as quickly as I do when the inflammation is under control. Would others in this forum describe their symptoms in a similar way?

I was told to take 60mg pd for 1 wk and today I reduced to 50 mg pd for 1 wk. I am waking each night at ca. 4-4.30 with temple pain, though the swelling in my eyes disappeared after 3 days on 60 mg, my eyes are unaffected aside from being tired.

Am having a head MRI this week and further blood work.

Blood pressure still all over the place, inflam related no doubt.

Hopefully I wil get the dose down to <20mg by Jan.

Thank you for this wonderful site and the constructive supportive community.

best regards

Heron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.