Gebapantine+Tizanidine+nsaid for chronic backache. Should I go ahead with it?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there! I was a few years back diagnosed with osteomalacia. My vitamin D keeps dropping low if I stop taking them. But any pain I felt was mild. But since a year and a half I have been suffering from moderate to severe low back pain. An x-ray about a year ago revealed gentle scoliosis. But the doctor at the time said its negligible. Gave me an nsaid and multivitamin to take. He said the muscles may have pulled away at the spine cause of a jerk. I could only remember how I fell in the mountains as I was unfortunate to be there at the time of some flooding.

I went to an orthopedic doctor just now and My vitamin d levels were at 20 again, but the x-ray somehow revealed nothing said the doctor. he prescribed brexin(nsaid), movax(muscle relaxant), opt.D (Vit-D) and neogab (gapapantine). All to be taken for the next 7 days and then get a follow-up. I feel like this is too much. Like he couldn't figure what was wrong, so he gave one pill each for everything, something is bound to work. Do you think I should go ahead with this combination therapy? I was looking up gabapentine and was horrified at reading the side effects and withdrawal symptoms here on this forum.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Naasha you are obviously young so you stand a very good chance of saving your back from a lifetime of pain. So definatly do the PT and do your exercises faithfully. And when your back hurts instead of taking NSAIDS use ice or heat on your back. And if the pain is just too much then ask your doctor for a muscle relaxer for those times when you can't stand the pain. It will help a lot. It helps me on my bad days. 

You asked a very interesting question that I want to address. You asked if the medicine will help to heal you and the answer is a big fat NO! The only thing the medicine will do is help you get on with your life. Some people like myself have found that our pain is so high and we have used all other options to control the pain and we have made the decision to use opiates. I do NOT recommend that you go this way. You are entirely too young to start on that path. There are a lot of people in the world who will have you think that taking opiates make one a bad person but they are wrong. Chronic pain is horrible to live with and to be treated like your some kind of addict because of it makes it that much worse. Sorry I didn't mean to get on my soap box. It's just that there is someone else that I know will make a comment on what I'm saying to you about opiates. Even though I have clearly told you NOT to take them.

On the NSAIDS I took those for the first year of my pain and it ended up giving me acid reflux also known as GERDS. So if you use them, use sparingly.

And please don't worry about me. My back problems are not the only pain I suffer from. For some reason God has seen fit to give me a few other pain related diseases too, but I am managing them as good as I can. I am 55 and kicking it.

• Posted

Thankyou! I most definitely don't want to do opiates. if possible I want to avoid meds like gabapentine and nsaids also. I feel my pain isn't as worse as to not be able to manage. Like you said, I am young. And it's not as bad as to not allow me to sleep. I do get sleepless nights but only sometimes.

My endocrinologist prescribed me nuberol forte which has paracetamol and muscle relaxant combined so I'm saved from the nsaids. I used to have issues with acidity and my father died of esophageal cancer so I was very scared of taking something that might make my stomaches acids act up more then they have to. I will update once I've been to an ortho and PT. I hope I can find good ones this time around.

I hope you get well soon. I see my mother dealing with her arthritis and know that these issues must get terrible with age. What's worse is that the doctor says all that can be done is either keep to painkillers or knee replacement surgery....

<3

• Posted

Hi there everyone! I just logged in and I see there are so many replies. I will try to reply to each just bit later. K?

I received my report yesterday. There is a central disk bulge causing indentation at anterior thecal sac at one place and a dessication & shortened disc height at another place. My endocrinologist reviewed it and told me I need to go to an orthopedic for advice with this. Any advice that you could give me? What was it that you had? I really don't like the orthopedics that I'd been to before. I'd been through three in the course of this past year and a half. And none had told me to get an MRI. One of them actually implied it's all in my head and I should get counseling and all three told me that vitamin D at level 20 was just fine and did not even tell me to get phosphorus etc checked like how my endocrinologist had had me tested and diagnosed osteomalacia almost 3 years ago even when at the time I did not have as much if any low back pain. At the time the orthopedic I went to, gave me an overdose of vit-d which took my levels from 23 to 123 in just 2 months. I wonder what they'll say now that I take this to one of them...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.