Gelatin for Osteoarthritis pain.

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis in both thumb joints. I looked into surgery but was put off by the long recovery time. I've coped for the last three years with paracetamol/ codeine painkillers taking between four and six tabs per day. 

I have looked at alternative methods of pain relief some successful, some not. 

The latest and most successful is beef gelatin. It's granular in form and I take three tablespoons per day. It took four days to kick in but my pain levels have dropped by around 80%. Today is the 20th day in a row without the need for painkillers. I'm counrting that as success, 

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks for sharing this. I would like to add that I (living in Australia now) was diagnosed with Osteo A in both hips, worse in the left, two and half years ago, roughly. I had to use a stick many days and was eventually taking up to 4gm of paracetemol and codeine, plus 300mg a day of Tramadol. I developed internal bleeding from the drugs I believe, so I stopped after a year or so. Tramadol is nasty to give up or if you miss a dose, I found too. Anyway a few different people told me about gelatin. I am mainly vegetarian, but hey! To cut a long story short, I have been taking gelatin powder  ( a t spoon every couple of days) in fruit juice, stirr quick and swallow, yuk, and eating a lot of jelly babies (I usually avoid sucrose totally, but again, it it works...). I am now not taking any drugs, and though I am stiff in winter in the mornings, it passes, I am pain free and mobile. I do also note that a certain 'herb' helps too with joint pain - but the gelatin I'm pretty sure must be the main reason I'm OK now. It's a really big difference, I urge anyone with any form of joint pain to try it, and it's cheap. The hospital and doctors told me it was rubbish - I think their treatments are rubbish actually, all they want to do is pump you full of dangerous drugs. 

Short version: try it, at the worst you could get mad moo disease...

• Posted

Can you tell me what type of gelatine you use?

The brand or the name, also the way you take it.

Thank you

• Posted

you can get gelatin in various forms - pill, powder and the viscous gelatin form.  Most health food stores stock it.  It's trial and error as to which form suits  you best.  All gelatin is made from animal collagen so not suitable for vegetarians.   A lot of comments on here recommend that made from beef (cows) as the most effective.  I am vegetarian and tried a non animal based form which didnt do much good so I'm guessing the meat based proper gelatin is the one that works.

• Posted

Thanks for your answer.

Although also my diet is mostly vegetarian, I am willing to try the gelatin for a while, I was looking for fish origin, although I would not mind trying with organic beef if i do not find the other. It seems that gelatine of vegetable origin does not have the same properties that the animal has in regards to the formation of collagen for the joints.

I was wondering how to take it, because I've seen several websites that recommend this method:

Thank you again for your replay

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi Baldrik, 

sorry, I just noticed your comment now. I use an Australian product (pm me if you'd like to know). It's high quality beef Gelatin, but like all Gelatin it only dissolves in hot water. I mix three tablespoons with a cheap chicken noodle soup with boiling water and it becomes quite a palatable soup. Very easy to drink. 

It works for me. I especially notice it if I fail to take it two days in a row...very painful. 

Cheers 

• Posted

Hi Caringbah

Thank you for your comment, 

I live in Spain and I think I can get Gelatine it here.

• Posted

Gelatin helps with Osteoarthritis pain as it helps reduce pain slowly and can be very easily done.The best gelatin is provided by halamix international you name and you have it all in high quality

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.