General advice needed about triggering hsv 2 outbreaks.

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello!

I was diagnosed with HIV in September of 2022. Exactly a year later I was diagnosed with HSV 2. My first outbreak was gnarly and it was probably the most painful experience of my life so far (I'm 29 years old). I had to miss a week of work and could hardly walk without feeling like my vagina was ripping apart. Warm baths and this product I bought on Amazon called FemiClear were especially helpful, along with the Acyclovir I was prescribed. I know the first year after the first outbreak is usually rough due to the frequency of it reoccurring. So far, this has been the case for me. I've had an outbreak every month (twice in November) since being diagnosed four months ago. I'm glad that these recurring outbreaks are not painful like the first one!

I've been prescribed the Acyclovir and I usually take it if I am getting close to my period and/or I start getting an itch in that area. I don't drink alcohol, except occasionally a drink or a shot at holiday parties with my family. I do smoke cigarettes daily, and I have a pretty bad sweet tooth, but I'm trying to cut back on that for the new year. I'm a 29 year old female, if that is relevant.

I would like to know about the following:

What foods/ingredients should I avoid that may cause an outbreak?

If I already have a compromised immune system because of having HIV (though I am on Biktarvy for that and I have been undetectable for 9 months now), will I ever be able to suppress outbreaks without the help of Acyclovir or any other medications for HSV 2?

What exactly is shedding? How does a person know when they're shedding?

Does crying trigger outbreaks for anyone else? Anytime I cry about anything I start having an outbreak a few days later.

Are there any lubricants I should avoid when having sex?

Is it safe to use sex toys/masturbate?

Will having HIV and HSV 2 cause complications with my health later on in life? Like, is my life expectancy affected because I have both?

Will the combination of both medications put my body at risk? For example, I know later in life most people on antiretrovirals for HIV end up having organ problems like kidney failure. Will both medications put me at high risk for this happening to me at a younger age than expected?

I'd greatly appreciate any answers y'all might have for me or any advice in general on this subject!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.