General advice re whether to rest up or not!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had 9 days in hospital. Now home with bucket load of Meds. Diagnosis is degenerative spine disease causing acute sciatica. I know which exercises to do, and am using crutches as left leg so painful to put weight on it.

yesterday was quite good, though I did need an afternoon sleep. Even ate supper at the table.

QUESTION - did I do too much yesterday? Today my leg hurts mega, I’m frightened to do the exercises and don’t even want to get out of bed. I am a person who was always on the go. This is so hard to accept. My fab circle of friends are telling me my body is trying to tell me that I need the rest ( 2017 was mostly caring for hubby as he recovered from life threatening infective endocarditis and sepsis).

Is it common to have good days and then really bad days?

I am going to get a second opinion on the MRI scan I’ve had. I am a positive person 99% of the time and struggling to get that mindset just now....

Feeling down and sorry for myself, even though I know there are others far worse off than me 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Yes it is absolutely normal to have bad days as well as good. Generally movement is good for sciatica but if it is increasing your pain, that is an indication you are doing too much. You say you sat down for dinner. Is this a position that causes you pain? Generally sitting is bad for sciatica so if possible, I would avoid any position causing pain as may be irritating by the nerve further.

All the best.

Matt

• Posted

I think you are right, and as I have always managed my arthritic feet and hands well, being unable to deal with this episode easily, is something I am not coping with. Again, today I have tried being heroic by walking without using my crutches, and tonight the pain is relentless.

When does one know that the time is right to go on and take the next step? 

Arthritis in my spine I'd given no thought to. It's come as rather a shock to the Isystem. Lifestyle management I can research and take on board but I first have to overcome this debilitating pain. 

Sorry for the rant. Feeling a bit lost, I suppose.

Thanks for your input

• Posted

I think all you can do is listen to your body. I would use the crutches all of the time until the pain reduces considerably. I have been off work since the beginning of November with a herniated disc. I haven’t sat down at all until yesterday. Today I sat down 3 times for 3 minutes and will increase by one minute each day unless it causes pain, in which case I will stop and try again in a few days. Don’t do anything that will make it worse and therefore make your prognosis worse.
  • Posted

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/sciatic-nerve-pain-from-the-perspective-of-many-decades-629096

?If the docs have concluded that your sciatic pain is due to spine issues (Category 4 in the Discussion), then there are some surgical fixes.  My sciatica caused by a bone spur at L4 that was crushing my sciatic nerve root was fixed in a day via a spur removal and laminectomy at L4/L5.  Simple, easy, quick fix.

?My stenosis (think sciatica down BOTH legs) was again fixed in one day by an LLIF (lateral) fusion at L2/L3.  One hospital overnight, immediate relief, no brace, no rehab.  Silver bullet operation.

?Also having a TLIF fusion (rails and screws) from L3 through S1, I know about a degenerating spine.  45+ years of hockey...sooner or later, the bill comes due.  Just know there are procedures that can help...you don't have to live in constant pain or rely on drugs with horrible side effects or addiction issues.  Find a great neurosurgeon who can help you.

• Posted

Hi Estelle, 

Yes indeed it's possible to agrivate your Sciatia, which is easily done. The easiest way to say this I know from personal experience that you overdo things because the meds are masking some of the pain so you feel able to do more, get mentally excited St your abilities so do more than you should.

I was always told that for every action there is a reaction hence the Sciatia kicking in with a vengeance, just try and rest as much as possible and only do little and light tasks with a minimum of bending and lifting for around 6 weeks then gradually build up! 

I wish you well on your personal pain journey and I hope things work out well.

regards Dave

• Posted

Thank you very much for your advice. I think my first resolution is to realise I am going to have to take things very slowly.

Regards and thank you again

Estelle

• Posted

Estelle

I have had severe constant sciatica for 4 continuous months at one point 3 months ago I could not walk without a Zimmer frame. I have some good advice from on here...however you have to try & relax, they say sitting for long periods is bad for sciatica & that's true if you sit say for a couple of hours with out moving, but whats one supposed to do after an evening meal ? most of us at a certain age like to sit & watch TV & maybe for more than 2 hours & thats when I find the pain kicks off again when I stand up, the same first thing in a morning when I get pout of bed...I have took various alternative meds [not sure if they have done any good ] I have also had an exercise routine...but I find that often after doing  light exercise's the pain can be worse, if you have not done regular exercise for a long while [like me although I have always been active] then you will feel pain when & after you start to do it... you must take the exercise steady & don't do too much & too often, build up to it gently...another problem with a generative  spine that causes sciatica is how much you weigh, if you are quite a bit overweight [as I am 5ft 10" & 15.6 stone] then the Docs will tell you this does not help..the usual advice from them is lose weight & excise.. this is not easy especially if you are retired & always in pain.. its just one of their cheaper alternative fob-offs.

nearly 5 months on I am now not ion as much pain although I still have some pain & tingling in both thighs & legs, but it does seem to be easing, however I don't think my pain will completely go away without surgery , I think time is a key for most though.

my advice for now is do a bit of gentle exercise & short walks, NOT TOO MUCH of either at first, take an anti-inflammatory meds if you can & try to relax a bit throughout the day without being motion less for too long.

Good Luck !!

• Posted

Thank you for your input. I am 75, told I look and behave 10-15 years younger.I am about 8lbs overweight so not a problem there. This last year I nursed my husband back from the brink of death, so have been his carer. I am always on the go, voluntary work, giving talks and looking after a grand daughter. This inability to function properly has me stymied. I had both feet operated on in the past (arthritic metatarsals), but one knows that in due course it’ll get better.

I had a bad morning, but it’s been more bearable this afternoon. I don’t sit more than about 45 minutes at one go, but haven’t yet ventured outside. With crutches they gave me, that’s a bit tiring. 

So, it looks like a long haul, and patience........

all the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.