General Anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,I am 60 years of age and have suffered with depression,general anxiety disorder and social phobia for the last 10/15 years.The problem was so severe I had to retire at 50.I currently take 40mg of fluoxetine and 10/15 mg of diazepam.I have always drank alcohol which I have tried to cut back so now I would drink about 4-6 bottles of beer a night.I do not go out socially as this would require me to self medicate.I will try and succeed most mornings to go for a walk and a short run which I obviously find beneficial.However I am constantly on edge and therefore I do not go out a lot or seek social contact.The diazepam does not calm me down now because I have used it for so long.Each day is a struggle because I know I am going to have to deal with this constant nervous feeling.I have tried almost all recommended treatments eg CBT and talking to the recognised experts.I do not feel I have deep depression...it is just this constant nervous,shaky feeling.What I am really looking for is the 'magic pill' which would give me some relief and quality of life.Any advice would be appreciated.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I am 46 and i have suffered on and off since i was 19. After a marriage breakdown, and a nervous breakdown or whatever they call them now I was offerered counselling and medication which is helping alot. I am able to hold down a part time job and look after myself which was impossible a year ago and ended with me not being able to go outside without my mother. The thing that got me through was my family, my parents, my kids and my own determination with myself that i was not going down the path i could see infront of me if i did not act quickly. I'm not here to judge, we all have our weaknesses but i personally feel that alcohol is the worst route to take. I think it clouds your judgement and gives you too many highs and lows. Have you tried meditation, deep breathing, positive affirmations, crystals etc? It's worth giving alternative medicines a go and they can't do you any harm! 
  • Posted

Thank you Tracie for the response.I have at some stage tried everything..everything even the likes of hynotherapy.I agree totally about the alcohol and would seriously caution young people about using it but when you are sinking you reach for any liferaft.My days of binges are gone...the pain isn't worth the pleasure.Even drinking in moderation my symptoms remain.No,I am keen to hear if any medication brings any relief to fellow sufferers.
    • Posted

I take quite a high dose of beta blocker which helps keep my anxiety at a manageable level and also helps with migraines. I take a lowish dose of antidepressant which is brilliant for stabilizing my mood and i have a small dose of something i can take as and when i need to to help with the dizziness i get when i'm having a rough day. Otherwise i would not go out or drive or do even household chores as it is so bad. But also i have worked very hard to try and see the positives in every day, even the bad ones and it really helps. So for example on the days that you manage a walk or a run, congratulate yourself, big yourself up... Tell yourself you will get better and be able to go out and do more in time. I'm very lucky because my parents understand and my dad suffers also, so can relate to how i feel. Even the tiniest achievement is celebrated as though i have just taken my first steps as a toddler and i feel proud of it and so want more praise and to do well.... Bless em, i don't think i would cope as well without them! Do you have family that can help? Or friends?
  • Posted

I'm 23 has gad since as long as I can remember I turned to alcohol when I was 15 and that give me the boost to go out and not worry and I can honestly say I was a alcoholic I got out of that by becoming a parent but I realised that as long as I pushed myself in the situations it became easier I had a fear of public transport but trains was a real fear to me I took myself on one with my friends and when I got off I felt a sence of achievement that is honestly what you need that feeling that you can do it and be proud of yourself alcohol is not the answer not only the problems it causes but it's a comfort thing and it is hard to let go once you really belive it is helping I now make new friends can go out more and even looking at a holiday something I haven't done before everytime I do it the more easier it gets cbt did not work for me neither has medication I have health anxiety more than anything now so it's finding a way to cope with that but you can do it maybe explaining to somebody even that they need to push you ad help you along the way ? I realised after time that's what I needed a massive push xx
  • Posted

Sorry,Tracie for labouring the point but I am keen to hear from others experiences,and I appreciate your contribution.I feel it is a chemical imbalance in my case and I am not ar rock bottom...there are a lot of things I can do.At the minute my life sounds like a sad c & w song with maybe about 5 life events which could be stress triggers.Funny enough they are not....they don't cause me sleepless nights.For some reason I can live with them...I selfishly have put them in another compartment till the time I have to face them.I don't know if the anti-depressants play a part...I have been on them so long...ny mood is good anyhow.I am interested in the likes of beta blockers and whether changing to them from diazepam would have any impact.I did discuss this with my GP at one stage but didn't recommend changing.I don't have faith in doctors as they are not experts in mental health.Who is really....to me it is a case of trial and error.
  • Posted

Beta blockers are used for lots of reasons and they seem to help me. I had some spells a few years ago where my eye sight would disappear in one eye altogether and then come back gradually as if i was looking through patterned glass. Of course i thought i was having a stroke but doctor advised me its a form of migrane and put me on the blockers. I have not had any episodes since. I think most of us here find it very hard to trust doctors as we have been back and forth for years and still suffering but that is what my therapist taught me when i asked her, "will i ever be the old me?"  "No" she said "you will just be a different version of you, one who has had many experiences that have shaped the new you" and once i could accept that i have anxiety and depression and once i found a combination of meds that suit me, things are slowly improving. There is no quick fix or magic medication, it is trial and error but you will get there in the end if you keep at it.
  • Posted

Tracie you are suffering more than myself but I am interested in the quantity of beta blockers?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.