General Batholins Abscess Questions - Please Help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I am in my early 40's and the first time I've heard of a Batholin's cyst / Batholin's Abscess was when I was diagnosed with a Batholin's Abscess 2 days ago... I was given a referral to the emergency department and provided a prescription. As a sufferer of Trypanophobia (extreme fear of needles) I needed to find out how severe to my health this Batholin's Abscess is; thank you to this forum for sharing some home remedy treatments, I do however have some general questions.

1. I have been giving myself a shallow bath 'sitz' 3 times a day which is warm with some tea tree oil splashed in (no result to date), I have seen recommendations can you please provide guidance:

a) Is it supposed to be a warm bath or hot?

b) Is a tea tree oil bath or a salt bath?

c) Are you supposed to just sit there with legs close to the chest for 15 mins, or are you supposed to attempt to touch/massage to promote fluid movement?

2. Around the house and in between baths, I feel a bit lost... a few more questions:

a) When I sit down I have a tendency to cross my legs, should I try not to cross?

b) Is it best to go 'commando' at home or wear undies, or be (hopefully) prepared for a rupture?

c) Does is make a difference wearing natural fibres for undies and pants?

3. The remedies:

a) What is the best ratio of witch hazel and tea tree oil? How long should it be left on?

b) Should a hot compress be used only when having the witch hazel and tea tree oil treatment?

c) I intend on trying the turmeric and coconut oil remedy tomorrow, any suggestions on quantities and ratios?

4. The hopeful rupture, pop, and yuckiness:

a) How do you know its all out?

b) Should you try to encourage the pop by squeezing, and if so, where (sorry - I really don't know the best pressure point)

If there are any other general items I should know to keep clean, air, sit, sleep, please please please let me know, I am giving myself another full day and night of home care before having an anxiety attack at the hospital with the procedure.

Thanks all in advance, wishing we all didn't know what Batholin's Cyst or Batholin's Abscess is...

N

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I would try salt baths, but what you really need is anti-biotics! I did find the hotter the better.

A product called Instillagel which is numbing will also assist with the pain as well as over the counter pain relief.

Whereabouts are you?

I had dozens of the things - the first was excrutiatingly painful and anti-biotics did not help so ended up having it sorted in hospital with a procedure called 'marsupialisation' where they open it up to drain it. However 9 months later I had another and so on until I was getting them every 2 weeks - my issue was NOT a Bartholins, but a Recto-Vaginal Fistula. It took 10 repairs to finally sort and that was by a Uro-Gynaecologist = Colo-rectal surgeons failed 9 times.

Just beware it may not be what they say it is - mine drained via my vagina and anus so that is the difference ....

Good luck! x

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm now having hot baths, it's the only place I feel comfortable - gone from uncomfortable to painful in the last day.

I'm on day 4 of antibiotics, I feel worse than when I found it.

Your condition sounds horrible, all the best. Xx

• Posted

Hi Miss N,

I can respond to some of your queries. I have been a BC/BA sufferer for 3 years.

I think Rachel is right in that sitz bath should be hot. Not so it burns but definitely hotter than warm. However I have spent endless amounts of time hopping in and out of sitz baths ( a sitz bath is Epsom salts but I add couple of drops of tea tree oil) and can't say it made much difference. When I asked my consultant re sitz baths she was pretty dismissive of their efficacy.

Re antibiotics - I am currently on a 3 month prescription (which is a horrid situation) but this is because I have had surgery twice and still have a small lump, however my consultant said they don't work very well on an actual cyst as they are encapsulated which means the ABs don't get inside the cyst. So I would talk to your docs about ABs. I have no idea whether mine are helping or not yet. I'm taking them cause I'm desperate.

Your questions from 2 onwards seem to cut off to the right of the screen, but I think I get the gist.

Getting fresh air to your foof by taking off your knickers when you get in is a good idea, my gynae recommended that. Your knickers should be cotton rather than man made fibres. Avoid anything perfumed down there and don't douche - not common in UK, but not sure where you are. I've been advised to wash my vulva with emollient not soap.

Not had much success with remedies, so can't respond to that, if it's infected and painful and keeps getting bigger, it will eventually rupture.... (if it's not painful it might not but you write you have an abscess - they usually will rupture when enough pressure has built up) wear a pad if it's big, it will get messy.

How do you know it's all out? You don't. Post rupture I still have a small lump which months later still discharges on occasions (grim I know) this is my newer BA I have problems both sides, you are usually advised not to squeeze it but I have been in Emergency Gynae where they have squeezed it!! I have squeezed mine but not sure if I should have. I think the worry is that you can push infection further into the tissues and the infection could make sinus tracts - which is exactly what mine did (my old one) , so maybe don't go down the squeeze route. (It is hard not to though) I'd be interested to hear other sufferers take on squeezing an infected one.

I wish you and all the others who are blighted with these awful things a speedy recovery.

Take care.

Vic x

• Posted

Vic, thank you for your response.

The remedies are not working from me and the pain has come with force this afternoon and it feels like its growing by the hour, you have given me hope with eventually rupture, not so much the lump that will continue to discharge. I want this over.

I had no idea what douche was until this episode (ew). I'm in Australia, not a thing here!

I'm so glad I now have questions to ask should I have to go to the hospital - I had an anxiety attach/breakdown this afternoon not being able to get off the bed for approx. 3 hours.

Wishing you all the luck with yours.

N

• Posted

Hi N,

If you are in that much pain I think it won't be long.

Lots of people on here recommend the turmeric and coconut oil to speed it up.

I believe that heat and sitz baths can help it discharge more fully.

Deep breaths and stay strong.

It's a lonely condition, but you are not alone.

V

• Posted

Hi Vic,

Thanks again for your comments, I cannot express how much gratitude I have for your counsel through what can only be described as the worst 30 hours of my life. I could hug you. I truly did feel alone until your words. Thank you.

During a super long hot bath the abscess ruptured, it was the most disgusting and yet joyous moment. The baths were getting longer as they were then the only place I had comfort any more - I had a theory if my fingers and toes went wrinkly in the bath maybe the same will happen surrounding the abscess. Such relief. Only having 1 antibiotic tablet left my only next option was the hospital. I’ve been back to the doctor for more antibiotics, main feedback from the doctor is to relax (easier said than done), also to continue with the baths.

I still have a lump, and I am back to the discomfort of 5 days ago when I first went to the doctor with ‘something is not right here’.

Other than the hot baths with Epsom salts and tea tree oil, and gentle massage around the lump in the bath, and sitting in a heat pack when ever I can, do you have any other advice post rupture?

I can only hope for you to never have another one of these horrid things!

Thanks again.

Natalie

• Posted

Hi Natalie,

So glad it ruptured for you!

You are very welcome, I'm glad that my message provided a little comfort at an awful time for you.

I don't have much advice about getting it to fully drain as I still have problems on both sides. Maybe other sufferers have advice? I've done the sitz baths, the turmeric, the tea tree, the silica and all the things I've looked up.

I hope you are on the road to full health!!

Let me know how you get on.

Vic

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.