General Condition of Feet after Bunion Op

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there...... just another question i would like to ask... had the double bunion removal and hammer toe correction five weeks ago... stitches out but pin still in until 29th June.  Soreness and swelling still quite bad... but the last couple of days i have noticed how dry and wrinkled my skin looks.... i have keep them dry in shower by covering with plastic bands so my feet have not been wet at all... however the dryness and peeling of the skin is also something else i seem to have to deal with apart from the pain which is enough at the moment.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi gilly the dry skin and peeling is totally normal. It means you are healing and new skin is growing. E45 or another moisturiser may help. 
    • Posted

hi john, hope your are ok, thanks for reply, yes got moisturiser here so its action stations today, i was just not sure what to do, yet another thing they dont tell you about the after care, thank god we all have each other on here to talk to, take care gill x
    • Posted

Hi gilly yes this site is good and very helpful. I came out of the walker boot today after nearly six weeks and into a pair of what they used to call plimpsoles. Feels a bit weird but am managing to limp along ok. Foot feels very stiff and toes not hitting the ground but managing
  • Posted

Hey.... My foots the same its pealing like you would peal if u had sunburn lol but i just moisturize, the nurses also told me to moisturize it . x
    • Posted

hi lisa, thanks for replying it so helps me, yes it is like sunburn like flaking everywhere.... i will start to moisturise today after my shower.... something else they dont tell you about the recovery... thank god we have this site to speak to people going through the same, thanks lisa once again and i wish you well x
  • Posted

Hi Gilly, Is it because of the pin in your foot that you have to keep them dry? I have been able to shower normally since the heavy bandages came off at two weeks, even when the scab and stitches were still very much present. It does the skin a world of good to be bathed, as long as you pat dry well afterwards. I had the wonderful experience at 3 weeks post op of holding my foot under icy cold running spring water in Glastonbury. It was heaven, and later resulted in much shedding of dead skin. It is still peeling and flaking now, even though I apply Aveeno cream or bio oil regularly.  I am 5 weeks on too, and both scars on the foot are red but not sore and look better every day. I still have pronounced swelling most of the day and a slightly purple tinge to the whole foot when it's down for more than a few. I go to the surgeon tomorrow for a decision on how long to remain off work, as my initial sick note finishes at the 6 week mark.  Sorry you are still feeling pain. I hope it passes and that the result  after healing for a bit longer will ultimately  be NO bunion pain.
    • Posted

hi alice...... thank you so much for your reply, it so helps me.  Alice can i ask you did you shower with the pin in ?  I have no dressings on at all now but a small plaster over the pin at the top, but i have been putting plastic bags on my feet while showering as i was not sure about getting them wet.... my feet have not seen a good soaking since i had the op... only being wiped with baby wipes as my toes are still quite still and sore.... i find when i am just resting my toes almost shrival then as soon as i try to walk if only to the kitchen or bathroom they swell up and purple in colour.... and like sharp stabbing pains running through them, sometimes it even feels like my toe nails are stinging do you get this ??? i ask these questions alice because i just so want to be up and running again, i rarely visit the doctor and have not had any ops for 24 years and that was only in child birth so this recovery thing has certainly taught me to make use of everyday, and then i am thinking i am 55 and is the recovery slow because of age.... all doom and gloom at the moment !!! me too will have to ask advice on returning to work being self employed i am quite keen to get back to work but also have to drive quite a distance in central london so lots of braking needed... ohoooo alice i really never thought it would be like this my surgeon made it very matter of fact when he told me about the surgery.... even said na dont worry your be up and walking in a couple of weeks.... maybe i took up and walking to being normal again !!! ohooo bring on the normal please....lol.... thanks once again alice for your advice, alice could you let me know how you get on with the advice about the work situation, many thanks gill x
    • Posted

Hello! I saw the surgeon today, 5 1/2 week check up with xray. He is happy with the result, and so am !  He said - 1 The foot turning purple is normal - it is just that more blood is going into the foot at times than is leaving, so you just raise your foot up and rest it for a quick resolution.  2 Swelling, normal as we all know, and with it that comes a tight feeling or a pulling sensation. Walking thru the swelling and mild discomfort is fine, won't do any harm. 3 He has told me to get rid of the heel walker as soon as i can comfortably fit into my skechers (one size bigger and wider than my normal shoes), and unitl then walk barefoot at home, being sure to distribute my weight forward onto the front of my foot, not to heel walk and ESPECIALLY not to walk on the side of my foot. The bones are healing well by 6 weeks and CAN take your weight. It may initially be uncomfortable but walking is the best (and with limited NHS resources, the ONLY) physio. This is my second foot to have done so I can confirm that he is telling the truth. 4  Sharp stabbing pains, I thought they were perhaps bone and nerves regenerating around pins and staples - all good signs of healing. The surgeon also enlightened me that scar tissue is forming under the incisions which will cause sharp stabbing pains too, and rubbing/pressing on the healied wounds with some moisturiser/or oil will help break down the scar tissue. Makes Sense! I don't get burning sensations in my toes, but I do get the shap pain under my big toenail, that's a mystery.  5 - I did not have K wire but found reference on this site to someone who was allowed to shower with K wire still in situ as long as she patted dry and used a hair drier to finish off drying. As I said, washing and patting dry my foot after 2 1/2 weeks was a wonderful feeling and helped with healing!  6 - I am 50, so our healing time should be quick; we are NOT OLD! :-)   7 - I never had any operations before my first foot last year, and I must say that after raising a child and working long hours most of my adult life, I am revelled in the time off last year and this year, trying to make the most of  the free time, watching all the movies i never had time for, emailing friends, and reading, as well as getting more committed to my stretching, leg lifting and  tummy toning floor excercises. 8 Finally, I  indicated to the surgeon that I hoped to be allowed back to work on light duties after my six week sick note expires this Saturday, but he insisted I take two more weeks before a phased return to work, and drive only short distances until i am comfortable in my shoes - (once I can get in them). I also drive a lot for work, and lift and carry, so he took this on board when extending the sick note. I hope you will be able to gently ease back into work, but having been self employed in the past I know how difficult it is to take time off. keep me updated on your progress!
  • Posted

Yes to all your symptoms after 5 weeks, just apply as much moisturizing lotion as possible. Why can't you wash your feet? Have you got a pin that needs removing?
    • Posted

hi there, thank you for your reply so much appreciated.  Yes i still have a pin in my second toe which is not due to be removed until 30th June, i just did not know if i could shower without covering, i am starting the moisturising today big time....  i have called the hospital where i had the op and asked for advice prior to finding this site, but they were not that helpful.... only answer was ask your GP ?  thank god for sites like this real people with same issues, wishing you well gilly x
  • Posted

Can i ask how you are all showering? Lol on one leg? Ive just been having baths so i can put my foot up on the side. I think i can put my foot in water now as i had my bandages removed last week and they washed it in a basin of water and didnt re bandage it although i do put a tubagrip thing on it. I must say my first week was awfull.but now (nearly 3 weeks on) i dont get any pain but i am getting alot of swelling if i have walked a bit. Tonight im going to try bare massaging the scars becoz they seem quite hard. Also i Cant wait to stop wearing the shoe . this site has been a god send for me so thanks you to everyone. X
    • Posted

I bought a limbo leg protector. Basically it's like a dry suit for your leg, you will only need a knee high one and they come in a choice of sizes depending on width of your calf. When I wasn't weight bearing I would sit outside shower on bottom put limbo on and then sit on shower floor by shuffling in on my bottom. Oh remember first for hubby or friend to have hung shower head down from holder and away you go. Hope that doesn't sound like gobbledegoop?
    • Posted

When can u bare weight? (if that makes sense lol) so now u can stand in the shower? I never saw my surgeon after my surgery so i dont really know what im aloud to do i assumed because you have to wear the shoe for 6 weeks u cant really do anything. Is anyone driving? X
  • Posted

I was allowed to walk normaly after my stitches came out at 2 weeks, the surgeon told me to bring sturdy trainers in and I walked out in those. But everyone has had different advice if you are unsure then ring surgeon. However I am back to only weight bareing on heel as I have fractured my 1st metatarsal, god knows how, very frustrating, surgeon thinks it might never have healed properly. You are probably going to be longer as I only had 1 foot done, other thankfully is great.
    • Posted

I only had 1 done to and was told to stay in the shoe for 6 weeks. My next app is the 17th of july so im hoping i can walk in trainers after that.....and maby hopefully drive. I took one slight sort of step today wen i was going in the bath i know it sounds crazy but i felt like i had someone elses foot lol was very strange. Its also strange having two very different looking feet. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.