General feeling of being unwell. Started taking behistamine could this be why?

Posted , 4 users are following.

About four weeks ago I started on 8mg of behistamine but now they have moved me up to 16mg 3 times per day. I feel generally unwell is this normal?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

be more specific, please.  What do you mean by "unwell"?  Are you dizzy or lightheaded, do you have temperature, etc??

• Posted

Light headed and feeling like I'm going to be sick. Overall my body just feels achey

• Posted

ok....thanks.  is your blood pressure low?  Have you taken it since you started on the higher dose of betahistine?  If BP is lower than normal by 15-20 points that could be why you are lightheaded and feeling like you are going to be sick.  Betahistine lowers BP for some people...especially when it is doubled like in your case (8mg to 16mg).  You may want to go back to the 8mg and see if that eliminates the feeling you have.  If it does then it's most likely the betahistine causing your lightheadedness. 

Good luck....let us know how you are doing.

• Posted

Betahistine is a very safe drug with minimal side effects so it is unlikely to be making you feel unwell. I take much higher doses than you without ill effects.

It also takes a month or more to be effective. I would give it a bit longer - if you lower the dose any improvement in your symptoms may be lost.

If you are also taking prochlorperazine (or something similar) to damp down your Meniere's disease symptoms that is more likely to be the culprit.

Has your diagnosis been confirmed by Consultant ENT or Aural physiologist?

• Posted

Hi,  This was my experience.  My dosage of behatistine was recently doubled.  I was on 24 mg twice a day.  Am currently taking 48 mg twice a day.  So 96 mg daily.  I felt very unwell for 3 weeks after starting the higher dose.  Extreme fatigue, imbalance, and generally incapable of doing much.  I spoke with the pharmacist twice as I was so worried that it was Menieres symptoms worsening or the medication.  She said it was likely the medication increase.  I am on a high dose but any change takes time for your body to adjust.  After 3 weeks of the higher dose, I felt fine, as fine as one can be with this condition.  Betahistine is very safe in high doses.  You should see your doctor again if you continue to feel unwell.   Hope you feel well soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.