General muscle weakness:

Posted , 9 users are following.

I wish we could get a good lawyer and see the Amilodipine makers. My concern is, if this medication is banned in Holland and other parts of the world, why can’t America follow suit and ban it and stop doctors and GP from prescribing them. The damages caused could not be reversed. It needs to be banned in America period in that way PCP’s will stop handling it out to patients. It’s SE are horrible and need to be banned in this Country. I was terrified on things i’ve Read regarding this Amilodipine and I just started yesterday. I am scared and praying that mine will not get worse. No more Amilodipine. Please we need to start calling our congress men and women and ask them simple one question.  If Amilodipine is banned in other Countries where it is only given to animals, why are PCP handing it out to humans? Start calling today. We need answers and want to live. 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I agree we should start a class action. I am in the UK. I want to write an article about it for the newspapers but need to collect cases. If anyone is from the UK and has experienced problems, please let me know. I am not sure how ewe all might contact one another though as I do not think this site allows personal emails.

• Posted

My reply to Christiana seems to have been deleted? I am in the UK. I wrote that my sister lost her sight and had other side effects from taking this drug. However...it would be hard to prove. She had perfectly normal eyesight for her age before taking this drug. Two years of hospital appointments and they still could not come up with another explanation as to why she lost her sight. Gps should not be prescribing this. As recorded, it has been banned in Holland and, I believe, for animal treatment.
    • Posted

This is dreadful! I a so sorry to hear about your sister. Is there anyway we can set up a site for people adversely affected by Amlodopine to take action? Can we share emails on this site or will they take them down?
    • Posted

I did write here over 3 years ago when I came off this awful medication. I wrote to the manufacturers saying how it affected my Ibs and since then have had a number of medical conditions.

I had been advised by a pharmacist to come off it over 4 yrs ago and it was only through the intervention of a new Dr at the practice who listened to my concerns that gave me other medication and my acute problems stopped immediately.

• Posted

Hello

Christiana, after just reading your report about AMPLODIPINE, what you have stated about muscle weakness I have experienced too. About six weeks after taking 5mg per day of this Tablet, I had found that my knees and legs were getting unsteady quite badly too. Cutting down from 5mg to 2. 5mg has helped.

Regards Adrian.

• Posted

Dear Adrian,

I feel very uneasy honest about my legs as if they can't hold me up. Muscle weakness in my right knee. Swollen knee cap. Hands and fingers tingling numb stiff neck lower back pain. Sometimes I can't sleep. Concentration is very poor. I decided to go to a new doctor she said that I was on 5 mg of amlodipine and then a 2 milligram of amlodipine should take it you need it for your blood pressure I told her my hands get numb and I'm getting depressed she says what maybe that's psychological or from your stiff neck how stupid does she think us people are so I went off the tune it still bothers me this is in the same clinic but a different doctor I've heard that it's not a good idea to go cold cold turkey with his medication I'm tired of these doctors they never listen and I'm the one that suffering

• Posted

Doctors do not listen to us. Amlodopine is a dangerous drug for some of us and you need to discuss this with your GP and demand another medication. Better still buy a BP machine to self monitor your BP, start exercising more, eating better - cut out alcohol and caffeine; and look at these sites for the foods which bring down BP - half a freshly squozen lemon juice in hot water first thing in the morning works for me, cider vinegar on salads, beetroot juice. Magnesium helps with numbness and tingling. Potassium helps BP. I do all this and told the doctor I was coming of all the BP drugs as they were damaging my health, but my BP was not very high (now not high at all,now they have revised their readings!!) I still have problems with tendernitis in my upper leg and a shoulder bursa. Having seen a therapist for over 6 months, I do not think  ti will ever get much better.They have already withdrawn one BP drug in US because the 'filler' from China is making people seriously ill. They play with our lives.

• Posted

Cutting down to zero is a better or seek help with your PCP to a different for of treatment for your BP.  Amilodipine is horrible to human consumption or the dangers is hard to reverse. It’s not something we could reverse with Narcan.  You need to cut off entirely and seek a different medication.  I hope you read all my piece as Amilodipine is banned in other countries because of the SE.  we need to campaign for this medication to be removed from the market period. It’s terrible and dangerous to human consumption  
    • Posted

Agree with all you have writ ten. Soon after coming off Amilodipine I had dreadful pain in my knee, terribly swollen and could not walk...this took over a year to improve and is not completely right now. Now I am reading that others have suffered like this. There are some this drug does not seem to affect but others seem to suffer so much. Having IBS I should never ever been given this bp medication.
  • Posted

I have been on Amlodipne for 4 years in combination with Ramipril and as yet very little side affects.  You should find after 2 weeks of taking the med you should not notice anything.. I could be talking rubbish mind you as I very rarely suffer from side affects with any med I've had.

• Posted

I have been taking AMLODIPINE for over a year now .Most hypertension medicine weakens the muscle.My GP advices me to stop taking CHLORTALIDONE 50 mg as it lowers my calcium. At the moment am using DOXAZOSINE  ( cardura  xl  5mg )and AMLODIPINE. 
  • Posted

I totally agree with you. How do these Pharma companies get away with it. I wish you well x
  • Posted

CHRISTIANA,  

AMLODIPINE IS NOT BANNED IN HOLLAND - JUST A RUMOUR THAT CIRCULATES EVERY SO OFTEN ON THIS SITE!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.