General Questions-First Post

Posted , 4 users are following.

It has been comforting reading all your posts and responses on this forum. i have been dealing with all this alone for around twenty years now. My first svt episode was around 21 and now 41. I have only recently started seeing a family doctor and am scheduling a monitor. The fear this condition causes in me is indescribable at times but I have never had an episode of svt last longer than an hour. Some folks on here must be superhuman considering tales of 6 or 9 hour events! I wanted to ask anyone willing if they could relate to my episode tonight. Tonight's event started with ringing in ears/feeling like I might faint briefly-then heart started racing. I have never experienced this (feeling like I would faint) before or alongside an svt event. Amidst all the anxiety this normally causes, it is hard not to fear some sort of escalation. Has anyone else experienced this? Or worse? I guess I am just hoping to feel better about this most recent episode and reading other stories has helped so far...thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

Well all i can say is hats off to your for waiting so long to see someone. I couldn't have done that. Ive been diagnosed since June and I find it the scariest thing ever. my episode now can last 4-9 hours but they have only just started doing this. over last couple of weeks and its when i am sleeping or trying to sleep lay down. Ive never had the ringing in my ears tho no. Sounds horrible. Hope you get answers soon. My next step is ablation i think, also very scary, but i cant live like this. always here if you need to chat. Angela

• Posted

I started having tachy Feb 2016. Since the start I have had 65 episodes.

In the last 5-10 episodes, as soon as my heart starts racing, my left ear feels all weird. I guess the best way to describe it is it feels like it is plugged up or like being in a tunnel

• Posted

**Yes, Pete, I have experienced symptoms such as yours with SVT onset. You described them more accurately than I could have. I do remember trying to explain this stuff to my wife, post SVT, and not being able to do so.

You might want to do some reading on the autonomic nervous system (ANS) and the flight-or-fight response. It involves stress hormones (adrenaline and such) and much more, and certainly can include experiencing very strange symptoms. Good news is that it has obvious survival value and is, thus, locked into our DNA. Bad news is that parts of the response are miserable to experience. Forgive me. You just saw some of my former career as a biology professor breaking through.

Here's hoping that you have capable health care providers and work well with them. There's lots that can be done to help you, and an actual cure may well be possible for you. Take care.

• Posted

Thanks for your replies...helps to not feel alone. I have dealt with this alone for awhile but most events follow patterns, and I can shake them off pretty quickly. I have now had two in my lifetime-including last night's episode with the fainting scare right before, that really concern me. Glad I found this board because it has the most credible information out there from people dealing with this on a daily basis.

• Posted

Pete, There are a couple of closed facebook groups dealing with SVT. You might find them very helpful

• Posted

Thank you all again. I can't believe I have never looked online for support before but I have found it very helpful! I will continue to do so...thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.