General Questions - No one to answer them for me.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I was diagnosed by my Dr at the age of 18 with Pernicious Anemia after a long stent of Glandular Fever, then resulting in b12 deficiency. This deficiency causes me lack of concentration, tiredness and being really pale, they seem to be the most noticeable. I started having injections every 3 months standard practice in the UK, I noticeably started to drop off after around 2 and a half months my symptoms seemed to arise. This sounds odd but, I notice my injection starting to wear off when the symptoms come back but whenever I have anything sugary, I feel perfect for about 2/3 hours and then the drop after can literally cause me to just not want to move. Sugar, during my injection has no impact on me what so ever. So that’s a bit of background I have a few questions.

Firstly, does sugar have this impact on anyone else? Is it that noticeable during the end of your injection period?

Secondly, does the injection time seem to wear off quicker, dependant on if you’re working a lot or exhausting yourself? + Illness, if you are ill in the period does this reduce it?

Lastly, is having my injection earlier at say about a month and half detrimental or not encouraged atleast?

I ask these questions due to having my injection at the beginning of December and now starting to feel the drop off considerably. I am a Uni student and my busy period is all this time of year you see. I was diagnosed had my 6 injections etc but then moved surgeries due to Uni and now my main access is mainly to Nurse practitioners.

Thanks to anyone if they can help answer some of the questions biggrin)

Boogie

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Not sure I can help much.  After my first 6 injections my main side effect vanished altogether after about 2 weeks, and started to return after just short of 10 weeks.  So I had my injection at 11 weeks instead of 12 and now, a week later my side effects have already disappeared.  But I'll keep a close eye on just how I'm doing when it nears 10 weeks.

best of luck buddy.  Incidentally I'm more than 4 times your age.

• Posted

Not sure this will help as I am much older than you.  I felt the effects of the b12 injections wore off well before the 12 weeks were up.  After a long discussion with my GP and using the Pernicious Anemia website I persuaded her to allow me to have my injections at 8 weekly intervals.  I have benefited enormously from this.  
    • Posted

I too will keep a close eye on when my side effects start to return.  And will expect my next injection to be available then or very soon after.
    • Posted

Don't give in too easily. It took me several months to get my GP to agree to 8 weekly injections so be persistent! Good luck
  • Posted

I have tried several times is explaining to my doctor that 2 weeks before my B12 I feel awful but when they tested my levels they are 'normal'.

I am a week off my injection and I currently have them every 12 weeks. When I discussed having them at 10 weeks I was basically told that I would probably feel awful at 8 weeks then so do they just keep making them earlier?!

Any thoughts would be gratefully received!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.