General weaknesses, insomnia, weight gain, muscles aches and pain, palpitations, tightness.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I started reading about Amilodipine today and heard it has been banned in Holland and other countries. I had all these SE and decided to goggle information and every thing I have heard is scary.  I will stop taking today. 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yes Amlodipine is dangerous. The thing is it is a very sneaky product it took my blood pressure down from 190 over 160 but over the 3 years I did not know it was affecting me till one morning I woke up and my lip was swollen huge . The pharmacist advised me to stop taking immediately that was a side effect and it could close up my throat and I could not breath I would die. Now I have problems with inside my mouth it feels like my tonsils hangs to low and I always have drainage down my throat like sinus. And my tongue and upper mouth always feel sore. It's bad how things are used on us and we trust we are getting better, but actually getting worse. Be careful everyone it's a bad prescription we find out too late.

• Posted

My sister lost her eyesight and had general weakness, aches, pains and limb pins and needles. A perfectly fit, sighted lady before taking this drug, it ought to be banned!! Drs must have heard about these awful side effects...why do they still prescribe it!! Glad you've found out and are stopping taking it.

• Posted

Christiana, I quit taking it when a "feeling like dying" came over me.  Someone in this forum had reported the same feeling which caught my notice.  After telling my cardiologist he had a fit.  Does not matter to me, I refuse to take that deadly drug.

• Posted

Brenda75887, as I have stated in my previous reply, there are sooo many side problems come with this drug I have even had a feeling like I was leaning back on a knot in my back or chest felt tight , but I did not associate that to Amlodipine I thought I had indigestion or ate to fast so I took Roland's. Sometimes there was a sharp pain just in the middle top part of my chest then I would take BAYER ASPRIN, you always try to find something to just give you relief. But you still don't know it was your medicine. It's just a chance I took to start easing myself off the last drug I started. I guess I was just lucky. Keep taking care of yourself. If you feel something won't stop start with GOOGLE get the side effects match with your problems and go from there. Stay in touch,

• Posted

Yes, let's stay in touch.  We have to watch out for ourselves as the doctors seem more interested in passing off drugs.

• Posted

When i went to my dr the end of May, my BP was 165/95 so she thought it would be best to put me on medication. She put me on the lowest dose of amlodipine (2.5). After about a week i noticed i was constantly having a dull headache, dizzy, lightheaded and the hot flushes i got made me feel like i was going to self combust. Now, I've been having menopausal hotflashes for a few years, but they have been tolerable......these, were NOT...i literally would be a sweaty mess and found it most embarrassing when it happened at work as my face would get beet red. My bp was 117/74 so it had come down as my dr said it would.....and being in the middle of a hot humid summer, i attributed my issues to the weather. My sleep was affected, as i would get these self combustion flashes at least 2x per night. Finally I went to my GYN ready to try HRT to calm the flashes.....she was the one who said the BP med might be the problem.......so, of course I started to google amlodipine side effects and it literally was ME. So i stopped it...i had only been taking it for about 2 and a half months but they were a living hell. I had an appt with my Dr. yesterday and told her i had D/C the medication last week. my bp was 140/90 yesterday. She insisted that i try something else to keep it in check. I have a script for 5 mg. Benicar generic......havent taken it yet - afraid to, as the past couple of days i have felt better than i have in about 2 months.......I cant believe this drug is still being so widely prescribed with such horrible side effects......upon finding this forum, i see i am not alone in suffering these dreadful side effects. I'm just glad i found out early, and didnt continue taking it. I will keep everyone updated on if i try the benicar and how it works. 

• Posted

Glad to hear you stopped taking that awful drug. Your bp might show high for a while after taking amlodopine. That seems to be the norm. Why not try health style changes to try bringing your bp down. I find sitting for 10mins meditating helps me but you might prefer a session in the gym. Watch foods as well cutting out stimulants such as MSG (monosodium glutamate) which is a flavour enhancer in a lit of prepared foods.

I wish you well. Im sure you will succeed.

• Posted

Thank you Kathy.......I am certainly trying to monitor my diet, get more exercise in and hopefully get this under control.....I did end up taking my new script last night (benicar 5mg) -- my bp was quite elevated last nite, so i thought I better take it......I will keep you posted as to how it is working and how my body is reacting to it.  Thank you!!!
    • Posted

I am 47 years old and visited my local clinic due to my period going non stop for over a month. They put me on a birth control pill and after taking it for a week and experiencing terrible dizziness I went back to the clinic only for them to tell me that my bp was sky high. I have been going through an extremely stressful period and I also have anxiety so all of this definitely contributed to my elevated bp. They then gave me this horrible drug to take as well as a water tablet to bring my bp down. Its only day 4 and I have never felt so horrible in my life. Woke up this morning with my clothes damp from sweating, I have the worst anxiety and panic that I have ever had in my life, nausea and I literally cannot function, no appetite either. I have lost 4 pounds in 4 days. Going to my GP tomorrow because I refuse to take this medication any longer. Up until my visit to the clinic I have never before had very high BP, in fact I've actually experienced low blood pressure a few times.

• Posted

I'll be anxious to hear about Benicar. I have an appointment with my GP at the end of September. I want a change of meds!

• Posted

i will keep you posted! I would certainly insist on changing meds if you are having side affects from the amlodipine..I know my dr was not happy i just d/c the use of mine, but i couldnt stand feeling like a felt for another day......good luck to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.