Generalized anxiety?

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I’m on 5 weeks of 10mg Celexa, I feel like I’m finally have a little more breathing room but I’m still having intrusive thoughts that make me question myself and it hurts sad I’m looking into CBT therapy but I was wondering if anyone had luck on this medication for those uncomfortable intrusive thoughts. Also it’s like the medicine won’t let me go into a full panic attack I just get a weird warm feeling and clench my teeth super hard without realizing. 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi jess 

Is this your first time on celexa? 

I started 10mg 16 days ago and I feel soooo much better. My intrusive thoughts were more worry ( about my health etc ) but that has really quietened down now. I have been reading up a lot on anxiety and it’s realky helped me to understand what it is and it’s made me less scared of it. This has naturally lead me to worry less about it. I’ve been reading a book called “ making friends with anxiety “ which is fantastic and really helps you to open your eyes on what your brain is doing. Also I’ve downloaded the app headspace which is also a great help when I’ve been feeling really anxious. Give yourself another couple of weeks to see if you improve more. If not you may just need an increase in dose as everyone is different and sometimes you might just need that little bit more to help get you back on track. 

Always here if you need a chat as I’m on the same journey right now. 

• Posted

Thank you so much, yes this is my first time on celexa. It’s been a hard journey.

I feel a little more functional but I’m still struggling with the intrusive thoughts. They definitely aren’t as loud but they still get to me and I just want them gone. I feel like I’m still worrying a lot about them but not as much but they make me feel bad. 

Yes I will look into those!! I will do whatever I need to do! 

Good luck on your journey! I’m here too if you need to as well!

• Posted

Hello, ive been on 20mg for 5 weeks now too, i still get intrusive thoughts but i think thats because it takes 6-8 weeks to feel the full benefits of the medication but they've quietened a LOT over the weeks and i can tell them to shut up and ignore them better now smile 

Hope this helps

Bethanie x

• Posted

Hi bethanie. I've been on cit all together for 5 weeks. 2 of those weeks at 20mg. Do you think I'll still see improvement around 6-8 weeks or does the 20 have to settle in my system? The intrusive thoughts are really bad the last few days xxx

• Posted

Can I ask what your intrusive thoughts usually consist of? I’m just feeling alone in this. 
    • Posted

Mine is like a constant voice telling me that I can't do something or shouldn't be doing something because it's my real. Because I am anxious. Like today I got on with the day doing things I normally would without the anxiety but it's constantly in my mind that I'm doing all this but it's pointless because I feel so weird. Even when I interact with my children I've just got this constant thought going around and around my head which I turn makes me miserable and scared. 

What are your thoughts about? Xx

• Posted

That’s like mine, also I’ll just have like horror movie thoughts where a movie will pop into my head or make me feel scared and it won’t go away and I’ll just keep thinking about it. Also like if I’m real or making me doubt myself or makes me feel like I’m going to lose control. sad I just want it to go away 
    • Posted

We're in the same boat Hun and it's horrendous and exhausting. But I have downloaded Headspace and an app called DARE to try and help. Also I have two children so they take my mind off it even if just for a second or two. Hopefully this is just a blip and in the next week or couple of weeks things will get better. My advise to you is just do things anyway. Even though it's so hard. I washed up today and took my son to school and picked him on my own for the first time in weeks. I don't know what to suggest as I don't know myself. I want it all to stop too but it's either do or die and I definitely don't want that. Xx

• Posted

Hello, ive started from when i upped my dose. I was on 10mg for two weeks then ive been on 20mg for 5 weeks now. So your body will have to get used to the 20mg but that doesnt necessarily mean you'll get side effects all over again. I think the intrusive thoughts get worse on these tablets before they get better mine certainly did. For some strange reason ive got it in my head that i dont deserve to be with my fiance and that i shouldnt be with him which is what goes around my head it drives me mad but it has calmed down a lot i still get the thoughts but its easier to shut them up and they arent as frequent. I think they will have gone by the 6/8 week mark or at least im hoping they will of smile ive read a lot of discussions on this site and it seems most people feel better at that point but still get blips every now and then but the longer they are on the tablets the less frequent they are 

Xxxx

• Posted

My thoughts always come back to me. It's like I'm constantly checking how I'm feeling. And when I do do something it flicks straight back to how I'm feeling. Almost like I'm living. A lie or faking it if that makes sense. It's even worse when I'm outside or somewhere busy. Like I'm always doubting everything I'm doing. 

Does that make sense? Xx

• Posted

Yeah it makes sense i was the same i thought i was never going to stop the thoughts coming back to me but over time as ive kept busy they just became less but when i dont think about it i think omg i havent thought about it so it makes me think about it. I think it will get less and less until they go completely 
  • Posted

Jess - sorry to hear your having those thoughts but it sounds like the med is working to keep your panic attack under control! smile

I've been on 10mg for 3 months and the negative thoughts noticeably subsided around the 6th week.  There have been a few blips of "what if" thoughts, but they typically don't last long.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.