Generalized anxiety disorder and depression ruining my life?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 21 years old with a 2 year old daughter for starters. And I have been dealing with anxiety and depression totally unmedicated for about 3 years. It recently has gotten so bad that I don't even want to get out of bed, I can't make it through an 8 hour shift where I work (at a plastic factory) without wanting to breakdown. I'm trying really hard to do it myself by drinking green tea, positive thinking, taking vitamins, and small meditation breathing counting techniques. But I fear that it's not helping as much as I need it to and I feel like it is really taking a toll on every aspect of my life.

My mom really encourages me to speak to a therapist and get on medication, but I can't stop seeing that as the easy way out and I just don't like the feeling of having someone listening to my problems knowing that they have their life together enough it makes me feel really weak and vulnerable. But things are looking pretty bleak and I don't know if I have the energy or strength to keep going like this, something has got to give.

So I was also just wondering

1 what a therapist would do for me, what a visit would be like

2 are there any medications that will uplift my mood but without any negative side effects such as insomnia, numb feeling, worsening my depression.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Talking to a therapist can be really helpful, you can tell them anything you like and they will help you work through things that are bringing you down. It sounds like you're a real fighter and doing lots to help yourself already but another perspective can only help you

As regards meds, they can be difficult to get started on but do help a lot of people. The doc will likely sign u off work for a couple of weeks to get going in them but it could be worth it. Some do interfere with sleep but shouldnt in the long run. From my experience SSRIs shouldn't make u numb but you do need to ride through the initial side effects when everything can feel a bit worse. Good luck hon, keep fighting

X

• Posted

If you dont want to go on meds and want to try the natural route, I hear St Johns wort is good for depression, so much so your not allowed to take it while on any other antidepressant. Maybe worth a try.
  • Posted

Treatment really is needed, therapy is a good safe option. Meds can work for some,but its not essential. Really whatever your comfortable with. If you don't get help,the problem won't stop. Natural solutions really aren't proven to help, again it's up to you. You can be active and try to help yourself by getting the appropriate help,or you can let it sink it deeper and ruin your life. That really is the choice,and the choice is all yours.
  • Posted

I would say to definitely speak to a therapist. They can help change your reactions and thinking processes when having anxiety issues.

Would this possibly help you?

• Posted

I would say talk to a therapist. As for meds talk to your doctor have him slowly put you on meds so it can build up in your system 

Good luck 

Elizabeth

• Posted

Hi Sweet

Sorry you are feeling so bad

I agree with the others get some therapy it will help you deal with the situation.

Do it for your daughter

Stay Strongconfused

• Posted

your probllems will disapear both with therapy and by taking appropriate medication but it is your decision and it is a hard one. But don't go down the road too far and leave it too late before you are out of control of your illness.

richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.