Generalized Anxiety Disorder (fear of losing my mind)

Posted , 14 users are following.

Since the 1st of august 2014 my life has been turned upside down, i was stuck inside the lift at work and had my first panic attack, several weeks afterwards i have had overwhelming fears of having a heart attack with many trips to the hositpal bloods taking and ecg all normal. I overcame the fear because of other problems with anxiety. I cannot shift the thought of losing my mind becoming schizophrenic/psychotic its tearing me apart. I went to A&E because i was having intrusive thoughts about suicide and was met by two psychiatric nurses who told me im not schizophrenic/psychotic and i only have anxiety, this calmed me down for maybe a day or two but again i went quickly backing into the vicious circle of thoughts and thinking, does this ever go away? will i have a normal life again? im currenetly taking propranolol 40mg morning and night and only took fluoxetine 20mg for only 10 days because it made my suicidal thoughts worse.

my worst symptoms are 

headaches 

tired all the time 

feeling detacted (daytime is worse) 

and sometimes i feel faint like im going to collapse

currently on the waiting list for cbt nhs 

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've felt the same thing the only way it will go away 98% that 2 % is still there but it's weak attack

Is by living a clean healthy life style no drinking alcohol or smoking just eating and when you feel your brain go into overdrive get some headphones on listen to music stop taking other drugs it's the gate way to more problems

• Posted

Hi Andrew,

I can relate to this so much, you have summed up my life for the past 4 years.

I am sick of this feeling, and need to do something soon.

The anxiety is bad, but now I suffer from depression because all the negative thoughts.

How are you getting on now? Id love to hear how you are.

Thanks!

Greig.

• Posted

Hey greig over the past couple of years I've really sorted my life out with regular excerise and clean eating, I've found the love of my life and now engaged!!

Life is still tough and still have bouts of anxiety and depression but I've learnt over the years to accept i have anxiety! Acceptance is the key. As for the depression which I still suffer from due to intrusive thoughts, but I try and use a method of questioning and some of my thoughts make me laugh now because they are so ridiculous or stupid. For example I might have I thought about starting a fire!! I start to panic ( oh dear I must be a bad person) (WHAT IF I really do start a fire) hold on question that thought. Will I really do it ? NO! So why am I worrying about it. It's just a thought we all have them! Just ours stick more then others.

So over the past few years I've learnt a lot and educated myself about mental health and accepted my illness. Where there is darkness there must be light and time is a great healer.

hope this helped

You will get better smile

• Posted

Omg I'm going the same thing , you're not alone brother it's a horrible demon we have to face , best to luck with you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.