Generic Keppra

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I have posted on this subject before, many GP's prescribe a generic form of Keppra because it is a fraction of the price of Keppra.  The problem I have noticed is that this cheap stuff doesn't dissolve (or maybe not always) into the bloodstream, if it doesn't dissolve it won't work, the evidence can be seen by looking down the pan (hope I don't have to explain this), the first time I noticed  I began breaking the tablets in two before taking them, this imroved things but after today I am going to start breaking every tablet in two (I take 4x 500mg twice daily), hopefully this will allow even dosage between the twice daily doses, since breaking the tablets I have not had a single absence but I have had auras, maybe this new strategy will improve that.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I never look down pan David lol

I have tried it but was shattered and so sleepy all the time, at first I was on the proper Keppra but it changed I still found it good for epilepsy, but I just couldn't stay awake.  I was just sleeping all the time. I have gradually gone doen to 3 a day as already on phenobarbs ..Keep well and dont let it get to you xx Good luck

Win xx

• Posted

havent been on this for quite a while , since i started keppra ,i have had a turn on newyears day , so im waiting to see how long i go before i have another turn ,when i told my doc he was surprised and asked had i been drinking any alcahol lol i dont drink , but thinking back i made a trifle and with port wine , , so looks like i wont be enjoying even a sniff lol now i also wonder about the different companys that make keppra , i started off at the cheep pharmacy and they were blue , then i changed chemist and the company made whit tablets , soo i wonder what is the difference , i prefer the blue only because i can recognise them easier lol i must ask about that , but its the getting over the turns thats upsetting me ,takes a week to get back to normal , but all the tablets are same price here for me , genetic or not 
    • Posted

I had one after Christmas and it was really bad so upped my Keppra to 3 at evenings as the seizure was so strong and it scared me.

Been 6 years without one, not even a shake, then Docs change medication to higher dose.  Why wont they listen to us.

That made me ill and so they just  dropped my phenobarb from 120 am to 90 without lowering them slower.  I do wish they wouldn't mess my pills about !!  lol phew feel better now. Told them I mustn't take too many phenobarbs  as hospital had advised me, did they listen No !!

Good luck to all xx

• Posted

gee winnie , not sure about the phenobarbs , i blamed that on my mum getting anemia , turning into cancer of the lymph glans , but she took them for years , ,also i think also its trial and error too as far as the drs go , i myself dont think i would havr been so bad if i had had the right dr , at first , in my case i dont think they care because of my age , , now i argue and want to find out why ,lol and will ask for other opinions , i had sooo much side affects from drugs that i gave them all up , then a couple of years later i had changed drs and now im getting results that please me , if i do get another turn i will ask about increaceing the doce , , my dr doesnt want me to do crosswords before i go to sleep lol and doesnt want me to have valium either lol but i did get him to give me a script ,lol also i still do my puzzles before i drop off to sleep lol , but i wont be eating any more trifles lol 
  • Posted

Old Nanna & David,

I was taken off valium over the scare ages ago and was put on Epanutin which in turn mad my teeth fall out, now they say Epanutin is bad for you, I could have told them that 20 years ago lol but as you say some do not listen to us xx

We will get there,  been on Phenobarbs since 14 and touch wood no side effects yet !!  My old Doc used to say never jump up quickly just do things at a leisurly pace, as my seizures come in the mornings,  

Be Well Nanna and all xxxx and keep Well xxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.