generics and T3/T4

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello

I wondered if other people felt they reacted different to generic versions of levothyroxine. I dubious that it should make a difference but I think I have some evidence in my own case that it does. I'd be especially interested to hear if anyone knows of mainstream research into the difference in effectiveness of different brands of the same drug.

I'd also be interested to hear of anyone who has tried liothyroxine/ T3 after not getting on with T4/levothyroxine. Why did you change and what difference did it make. Again, I'd be especially interested to hear about research into the difference in reputable medical journals.

Thanks!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I take Eltroxin, which is the original non generic form of thyroxine and I do better on it.

I also take T4/T3 combination and took Tertroxin (liothyronine) until Goldshield stopped making it, I now have a generic T3 which I am not convinced is as good.

I have an excellent endocrinologist and if you are interested in reading about his research into identifying a sub group of patients who do better on the T4/T3 combination therapy then may I suggest you Google [u:981f253e7e]'Saravanan endocrinologist'[/u:981f253e7e] and select the first listing. smile

• Posted

Alicia,

That Saravan chap is interesting! I had come across quite a bit of Portuguese work (Escobar, Morreale, et al - from memory).

the pekingnese,

In the UK the official view is that we only have one proper brand of levothyroxine - Eltroxin. All the other versions are the generics.

Without a shadow of a doubt they are NOT identical to reach other. They vary in several ways:

Ingredients (other than levothyroxine)

How well they dissolve/disintegrate

How well you absorb them

What unwanted products are produced as the levothyroxine degrades.

A while ago I found some categoric research (from the US) which identified certain reactions that could occur - and the resultant degradation products. That suggested that certain formulations were inherently better than others.

Be warned - sometimes different strengths of tablet within one 'manufacturer's' product are actually made by different companies and to different formulations. (I think Teva 25mcg are different to Teva 50 & 100mcg.)

In addition to all that, the tablets can be between 90 and 110% of stated dosage. (Soon to be tightened up to 95-105%.) This is supposed to mean that they are within this range between manufacture and 'use by' date - provided they are stored carefully. But it is still quite significant.

My partner has tried Cytomel (US version of T3), Armour (desiccated porcine thyroid extract) and Levoxyl (US levothyroxine with an unusual formulation), and now Evotrox (UK levothyroxine suspension). She still isn't well - but some or all of these might have helped.

Specifically, she seems to be affected by minute dose changes and seems unable to take the same dose for more than a few days.

Both of you might be interested in this:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8641203

- but please also look up other papers by the same authors.

• Posted

I also find that the dose needs to fe 'fine tuned'. Most physicians increase or lower doses in 25 mcg increments. Dr Saravanan adjusts my dose by 12.5 increments.

I am currently on 87.5 mcg Eltroxin and 2 x 5 mcg Liothyronine.

I did feel better on Tertroxin but that is no longer to be and i also have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in the equation.

My bowels are an excellent measure of whether my thyroid levels are correct. :roll:

• Posted

Hi there

I've had problems on the generic levothyroxine i.e. severe bloating of the abdomen, weight gain etc. I'm currently on the Eltroxin brand and take 75mcg 4 x a week and 50mcg 3 x a week which boils down to around 60mcg a week. I'm also on T3 - Tertroxin 5 mcg twice a day. As well as Alicia's comments on Tertroxin not being available, I too, think that when I go back to pick up my next prescription it won't be available. Last week I was told that the 25mcg of Eltroxin isn't available just now. They are both made by Goldshield.

I'm very sensitive to the medication hence the fine tuning. Mentally I've been better taking the T3 but I'm still getting muscle aches and pains. I never had the muscle pains before taking thyroxine.

take care,

ms

• Posted

Hello everyone, I completely agree that the Mercury Pharma Liothyronine is not as effective as the one sold under the Goldshield name. I have had a recurrence, albeit subtle, of hypothyroid symptoms.

Comments would be appreciated. Regards, Collette

• Posted

The same lab that makes the generic T4 med also makes the generic T3.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.