Generics, can they make you feel this bad?

Posted , 26 users are following.

I have been on Sertraline for 8 months, it has been a slow but steady journey, I have been feeling my old self finally. Then when I got my prescription I noticed that it was a different generic. I thought nothing of it, but gradually through the week I have been on a downward spiral, anxious and a bit low, and today I have not been able to stop crying. I cannot believe that in a week I could become so different, I realise now that it is from the 2nd day of taking them that I started to feel bad. I am desperate to know if anyone else has had this experience, I will, of course speak to my consultant tomorrow - but any help would be good!

4 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, I am having exactly the same experience. I've been on sertraline for approximately 15months and all has been fine, my depression has eased and anxiety balanced out. I noticed when I picked up my latest prescription that it was from a different manufacturer (Dr Reddy) but thought nothing of it. However, within 24 hours I was becoming very anxious, very tearful, shaky, panicky, depressed - you name it. Very frightening experience. Thankfully I was able to put two and two together and realise it must be to do with the new version of my tablets. I have alerted the pharmacy and will be going to the doctor to get a prescription for the branded (rather than generic) version on Monday.

Has anybody else experienced this? Please go to your doctor/pharmacist if so. This has really angered me as I have been doing so brilliantly and did not need a setback like this. I would really, really encourage people to speak up about this if they experience the same thing - it's frightening and surely shouldn't happen.

• Posted

I experienced the same thing though I didn't realize until 4 weeks passed. Curious to know how long it took to feel yourself again after going back on the brand?

• Posted

Hi Lauren, Did your symptoms subside after the 4 weeks of staying on the new brand?

Many thanks

• Posted

Hi

If you feel that a symptom is due to a side effect of a medicine that you have taken then you may wish to report it to the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) via their yellow card scheme

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/Safetyinformation/Reportingsafetyproblems/Medicines/index.htm

Also we have a forum in the general health section of Patient UK Experiences about generic drugs http://experience.patient.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=30048 which may be of interest to you.

Patient UK - Admin

• Posted

To continue my saga.....I got my GP to prescribe Lustral (original brand) within 2 days I was back to myself again...but experienced a few days with symptoms like when you first take it, or up the dose, it seems to be stronger than generic meds, even though I was better on the original generic - this is even better!

Like the other person said, I was doing so well, and felt so much better that I was angry too that we can obviously be given a poor version. Luckily I too noticed whenever they gave me a different brand my mood took a dive, luckily it has been resolved - nobody questioned what I said, consultant, GP, or pharmacy.....so I advise everyone to ask for the 'brand name' of their medication as their right!

• Posted

I too followed this up with both my pharmacist and doctor (both of whom are looking to follow this up via the yellow card scheme) and am now also on Lustral.

I did have a bit of a tricky time convincing my doctor that my sudden onset of symptoms were to do with the new generic version of sertraline - she was adamant that this shouldn't happen and thought it might be a sign that my dosage needed increasing but given that the previous week I was discussing with another doctor my desire to start coming off them I managed to get the message across!

This is the first time I have taken the Lustral brand but I am feeling much better and much more myself - such a relief! And I too am experiencing the same symptoms as when I initially started taking it but nothing too tricky.

So yes, if anybody else experiences this - speak to your GP/pharmacist/consultant and report it via the yellow card scheme.

• Posted

My husband is taking Sertraline and having read the side effects of Diorhea and/or constipation. This drug has debilitated my husbands life and his anxiety appears to have worsened. He, like you has noticed a difference in the past 2 days and I don't fully understand what you mean by the 'generic' form.

He seemed to have the usual symptoms to be expected when you first start them but the past 48hrs has been dreadful for him. He has started a new pack this week-end and I'm wondering if this may also be generic related. Please can someone explain what this means?

He takes other heart medication and was told Sertraline was the only tablet that could be prescribed due to his taking Warfarin - does anyone else know about this?

• Posted

My husband is taking Sertraline and having read the side effects of Diorhea and/or constipation. This drug has debilitated my husbands life and his anxiety appears to have worsened. He, like you has noticed a difference in the past 2 days and I don't fully understand what you mean by the 'generic' form.

He seemed to have the usual symptoms to be expected when you first start them but the past 48hrs has been dreadful for him. He has started a new pack this week-end and I'm wondering if this may also be generic related. Please can someone explain what this means?

He takes other heart medication and was told Sertraline was the only tablet that could be prescribed due to his taking Warfarin - does anyone else know about this?

• Posted

Well, my husband has been dreadful since starting the second box of these tablets and his heart is beating out of his chest. He can't eat, if he does he has diorrhea. He's loosing weight, he can't hold his head up and when he tries to stand up, he gets dizzy spells and feels faint.

We have been to see the doctor who prescribed this drug via an emergency appointment today because the side effects were so bad. I have explained other peoples concerns regarding the 'generic' form of this drug and he has at our request, prescribed the proper drug 'Listrel'? but naturally, the pharmacy have to order this in specially.

I just hope that this will give him the lift her needs because if not, I don't know where that will leave him. I will come back and keep you posted on how this affects him. :cry:

• Posted

Hello, in response to the question about what generic means - it means the non branded version of the medication for example Coca-cola is the branded version of the fizzy drink, cola is the generic version which can be made by lost of different manufacturers. Hope this helps?

If your husband is reacting badly to these tablets, you should visit the doctor for advice... Hope all goes okay.

• Posted

Hello All,

I understand now the differences between the two, thank you.

Having had 5 days off the 'Dr. Reddy' version of Sertraline and experienced NO side effects, no Diorrhea we spoke with the consultant as an urgent appointment and he looked rather baffled as to why there should be a difference between the generic and the full branded tablet but was very helpful because he could see and appreciate the state my husband was in and has prescribed 'Lustral' at the same dose of 50mg.

Because of the Diorrhea my husband had not been eating properly because he felt it was a vicious circle he was at first reluctant to start taking it. However, we discussed it together over the week-end and he agreed to start it on Monday (yesterday) because he accepts although it's got it's side effects, his mood is feeling microscopically better!

He looks a different man today altogether, is that possible? I know, it's only 2 days but if you could have seen him last week I would never have dreamt he was going to survive, that's how bad he was.

He's still very anxious but I feel more able to cope with him because of the changes I'm witnessing.

It is a long road and the journey will have twists and turns like any, but it's extremely hard to watch someone you love dearly have to go through these side effects, it's heart wrenching, but hopefully worth it in the long run but only time will tell.

I will pop back from time to time to let you know how he's getting on.

I think the most important thing I have learned from this website is to never be afraid to ask questions of your GP, nurse, consultants etc, they haven't got all the answers but until you explain your symptoms they will assume it's working. If you are on other medication, don't be afraid to question whether it will interact with those tablets, specially Warfarin, Diazepam.

Good luck to you all. Hope my husbands experience will help someone.

• Posted

My husband has had a review with his consultant last week who was genuinely amazed at his progress since taking the Lustral. There appears to be no side effects with it and his mood is much better.

The consultant admitted he wasn't aware that there could be such differences and will certainly use this case as an example to future patients, when considering the side effects.

I have to thank you for posting your experiences because without which my husband may never have continues with his medication and his recovery, surely, would have been greatly delayed because of the side effects.

We can all help each other so much by having this facility, I personally, am truly grateful.

Good luck to anyone taking Sertraline/Lustral.

Thank you for taking the time to read my updates

• Posted

Thank you to all contributors to this discussion. You have helped me tremendously confirming the Dr Reddy generic Sertraline I've been given is the reason for my severe nausea and some diahorrea. The Lustral brand of Sertraline does not cause any side affects to me so I'm off to have a talk with the Pharmacist requesting re-issue of my prescription. If they can't help then it is back to the GP for a new script. In the meantime I have registered a yellow card on the MHRA website. For me, Dr Reddy's must be stopped.
  • Edited

Hello everyone, I just came across this site and thought I would share my very brief story with you regarding Sertraline and Lustral tablets. I have been suffering from depression for nearly 8 years now and have been, over this period, on Citalopram, Cipralex, Sertraline and another tablet which name has escaped me, but it wasn't within the SSRI family. I have been on Sertraline for well over a year now and, like most people I know, I have my ups and downs but have been getting various brands from differrent (and sometimes the same) pharmacy. I was told to try LUSTRAL once by a pharmacist who I worked with in my local hospital and the difference was remarkable. I spoke with my GP who said that there was absolutely no difference between the generic brand and Lustral, and me being me, took the word of a professional who had my health at the forefront of his mind, and I just went back to whatever brand they could provide at the time.....BIG MISTAKE!! I had been dispensed Lustral (just by chance) by my local pharmacy about 3 months ago and I was on top form, but the next month I went downhill again after asking for Lustral, but being told that they could only dispense that brand if it was stated on the prescription. Again I took their word for it and took the generic tablet.....this left me nearly suicidal, I wascold with everyone, reclusive and just horrible to be around....this was very worrying for me as a single father of 2 girls, 10 and 14. I had NO drive, NO passion, NO feeling, NO emotion, NO empathy....I just wanted to spend every day in the house, which I couldn't do as I couldn't afford to be off work. I went back to my GP and explained the whole situation and LUSTRAL was prescribed.....within 2 days I was getting back to my "normal" self....within the week I was like a different man completely. I have been so good recently that I have been able to ween myself down from 150mg to 100mg daily (and this is normally my bad time of the year). This combined with a couple of counselling sessions has given me hope again that I can start to live a more fulfilling life......The moral of the story is.....IF Lustral works for you at ANY stage....DEMAND IT from your GP.....it is only a cost saving exercise otherwise....and what is better....having to demand something (which may be out of character) or potentially suffering the "side effects" of a generic, non-effective brand?

I hope that this may give someone else some hope out there.

Paul

• Posted

Hi. I have been on sertraline 50mg x twice a day for bout 3 years and after a few up's and downs at first (brands) my local pharmacy told me that they could guarantee me that they would be able to get the same brand in the future, all was OK untill about 2 weeks ago when all the could get in 50mg was another brand. Thas when in my words all hell broke out, after 2 days I got a strange tast in my mouth like have an  anaesthetic or the smell of paint stripper being in my mouth (ish) and I started to fell strange, heavy head/sad feelings/ a bed time I felt like not wanting to wake up in the morning, I knew that something was wrong!.

My pharmacist today told me that all genetic sertraline are made the same, well thats the last time I use this chemist. I am seeing my GP in the morning and after reading all the info, on this blog I will ask for "Lustral" (fingers crssed). 

I now know that most generic brands may finish up with similar chemical stuff, but who know what they use get to that point.

I have filled in a yellow card request and hope that something will be done to stop someone suffering in the future.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.