Genetic brand compared to non genetic brand tablets?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All, 

I'm on 40mg of Pred a day have been for near 1 month, having blood done next week to see how it all is. PMT AND GCA , starte don 20 but put me up for a month.

My problem at the moment is I take 1 x 25mg tablet plus 3x 5mg tablets to make up the 40mg.

On Saturday I had run out of the 5mg so got more, took them. I woke on Sunday around 4am by strong pain in my knees and legs. Later in the morning I took my Preds again, same thing happen Sunday morning, strong pain, and again Monday and Tuesday. But today has also started in my arm again a little and temple headache sore scalp. My knees and legs had not been a problem before. So I look at my tablets, and found that the knew ones 5mg were different. They said PREDNISOLONE 5MG , each tablet contains PREDNISOLONE 5MG ..... ) NOT PREDNISONE)

My others and the 25mg say : PREDNISONE 25mg and 5mg ....

each tablet contains PREDNISONE 5MG AND 25mg .....

My pain is so bad I am wondering if I am having a flare up? or if it has something to do with the change of tablets as it started then. I hope to see my Dr tomorrow in case these tablets are not working for me with the Pred 25mg ones... I don't normally winge about pain, but the last 3 days I have had chronic pain and done nothing but lay in bed because of it. My mind is clear, not feeling down....

Just a thought about different brands of tablets and Genetic brands.

Thanks Dea 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

SORRY ALL I MEANT PMR AND GCA smile

• Posted

I think you may have the wrong drugs take them back to the pharmacy, they will soon give you the answer.
    • Posted

I phoned the Pharmacy and they told me they were the same: But I don't think so either. I will see my Dr tomorrow :   Cheers Dea

• Posted

They are basically the same - but if the pharmacy said they were the same, they don't know their pharmacology! 

Prednisone has to be processed by the liver to become prednisolone, which is the active substance. It SHOULDN'T make any difference, in fact some people would say the prednisolone is better as the liver doesn't have to process it so it can work more quickly and sometimes effectively if someone has liver problems of any sort. The doses are near enough equivalent.

However, different manufacturers use different fillers in their tablets and some people find they pose a problem. I had a similar problem years ago with enteric coated prednisolone - 5mg red pills, 2.5mg brown pills. They came in blister packs and were always from the same company. I'd been fine. Then I got a new batch - no longer in blister packs, dispensed loose in a bottle. I started taking the 5mg red ones - and promptly had a flare. I tried the same dose using old 2.5mg tablets (so needed twice as many tablets) - and was fine. Returned to the new 5mg ones - and flared. I tried the new 2.5mg pills - also fine. I called the pharmacist (no mean feat, he was in the UK, I was in Italy!) and he said there was no reason for it and no-one else had had a problem. I was then switched to methyl prednisolone as that is what is used here - supposedly more anti-inflammatory than either version of pred. It caused me nothing but trouble and it didn't work, even 20mg/day taken at night left me almost immobile until after lunch! A switch again to prednisone and I've been fine - 15mg immediately gave a better result and I reduced to below 10mg very quickly for me.

Different people respond differently not only to different sorts of corticosteroid but also to those from different manufacturers. And the proof of the pudding - or the pill - is in the eating! If they aren't working, ask to try some of what you were using before. Collect the evidence. And if the one particular version works better - get your doctor to write the specific brand on the prescription and make sure the pharmacy sticks to it.

• Posted

Thanks, again great information> I will make sure I do stick to the other one I was taking, I had 4 bad days on this one, but today seems better . I also had a bad cold and thought maybe the aches and pains were that, but we all know what a flare feels like with PMR AND GCA  smile  Cheers Dea

• Posted

It could have been the cold - having an infection can often apparently cause a flare, or if not a proper flare, bring back the pain and stiffness. And if you have a cold, even activities that you can manage normally without payback can suddenly been enough to leave you feeling awful afterwards.
    • Posted

PS, if you speak to the pharmacist - it is geneRic, not genetic, although I do appreciate that r and t are next to each other on the keyboard!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.