Genetic hypertension?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been prescribed Amlodipine 5mg and more recently 10mg . I have what I consider borderline high blood pressure and possible  'white coat syndrome'  as its always higher in the presence of Gp. I am suffering with swollen ankles and legs as a result of the highe dose. As I lead a fairly active life and have a healthy diet the Gp has concluded that I must have a genetically high BP ? How can this be assumed ? I have been told that whatever I do .exercise,diet , etc it will never reduce my blood pressure . Has anyone ever been advised the same?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just about everything I have heard is that a combination of blood pressure meds is the most effective treatment.  After my bout with Amlodipine, my doctor has me on Metoprolol (a Calcium Channel Blocker) and Losartan HCTZ which is an angiotensin receptor blocker in combination with a diuretic.  The combination has been very effective in controlling my blood pressure.  
    • Posted

Yes you are correct drugs ending with 'lol' usually are ,thank you .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.