Genetic Neuropathy

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have genetic neuropathy and I to have more intense pain at night when I lay down.  I have found if I soak my feet at night before bed in ice water it tends to help so I get to sleep.  I have also lost all but two toes on my feet because i have gotten a few bouts of osteomylytis and had to have toes amputated.  I take Lyrica three times a day at 225mg each dose.  The Lyrica has been a God send for me as if without it I would be curled up in a fetal position without it.  During the day if I am busy with work and or up and around on my feet I tend to have very little pain.  It is not on my mind then.  Only other thing I have done that works at bed time to get rid of pain is to have about 4-6 shots of whiskey.  I can then get to sleep.  The booze may be bad for me but it cannot be as bad as Percoset which I use to use and I about bought the ticket back in 2009.  I also notice when there is low barometric pressure where I live it is worse.  If we have higher barometric pressure my feet do not bother me.  This has been driving me crazy for about 8-10 years now.  Both me an my brother both have it and neither of us are diabetic.  Anyone got a suggestion on what to do I would sure appreciate the help.  This is the first time I have written anything here.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Jim, I am far, far better off than you. Just some numbness on the front parts of the feet. I was put on an anti-inflammatory (IC Diclofenac SOD EC 75 mg tablets twice a day) for another condition, which within 3 days made a marked improvement (50% less numb). It was only a 10-day supply, and I regressed after it was done. NSAIDs are bad for you in other ways, so my doc is having me try baby aspirin / regular aspirin (another NSAID but believed less dangerous for the heart). So far no results (3 days in). You may want to try NSAIDs for a short time to see if they help.
    • Posted

I am way past those stages.  I have had neuropathy for I would guess to 12 years or maybe more.  I have taken Percocet like it is candy and paid the price for it back in 2009 when I basically had a nervous breakdown.  I have pain almost every night.  If  did not have Lyrica I would be in so much pain I would not even no what to do,  I do know if I drink about a 1/3 of a fifth of bourbon I can then fall to sleep at night.  If I soak my feet in ice water for 1/2 - 1 hour before bed at night and can then fall a sleep on some ocassions.  Use to go to bed with a "Tens" unit at night on each shin and sleep with it on all night long.  That gave me relief and I guess I will buy another "Tens" unit to maybe get back to normal sleep again.  I just want some relief! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.