Genetic Test Results

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anyone know what this means please?

p.Cys282Tyr (C282Y)heterozygous

p.His63Asp (H63D)heterozygous

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Edited

It seems to mean that you have a medium chance of having haemochromatosis, as both the gene types are heterozygous.

Our GP has said, it's borderline so no further action. As ferritin is 860 and transferrin 60% it seems to me that it's a bit more than borderline. What does anything think?

• Edited

You have what's called "compound heterozygous", which is the 2nd most likely cause of iron overload hemochromatosis behind only C282Y homozygous recessive.

At 860 ferritin, i would be concerned and want to begin being treated. I was diagnosed C282Y homozygous with 950 ferritin, so you're not far behind at all.

• Posted

Thanks very much for your replies.

• Posted

my ferretin level was initially over 1000 but with a change in diet i am now at 451 but i have been accepted for treatment and begin shortly. You are not boarderline and should push for therapy in my opinion

• Posted

anny...what diet changes did you make? thats a huge drop...

• Posted

Hi Vicky

i made these changes before I knew I had HH but was aware that liver enzymes were high.

Initially I googled self help for my problem and found that cutting out certain foods might be a good idea as i was not keen to takeanymore medication than i already do. So first of all i cut out as much refined sugar as possible. ate loads more fruit and veg and ate less meat but more fish and had lots more tomato based pasta sauces. i cut out all alcohol, i probably had about half a bottle of wine a week. I also upped my excercise, i nordic walk and do yoga.

I lost 10lbs in weight and my ferretin came down to around 600.

Once i was diagnosed i read a book by Dr Eric Lewis, Holistic Help for Haemochromotosis, which made things a little clearer. His wife also wrote a cookery book which i downloaded and boy did i find out that i could do better!

She explains which foods to avoid and how to combine foods to restrict the absorption of haem iron. Out went my favourite tomato based sauces and I found that eggs block haem iron and cheese contains calcium which is also a big help. There is so much more I have learned from her book and I refer to it often. I can really recommend it. I also drink up to 2 litres of water a day plus decaff tea and coffee, not that decaff is necessary for most people. we also eat organic where poss.and I cook pretty mich everything from scratch.

Still waiting for first treatment but stuck in Spain right now so not sure if I will get home for my appointment! Hopefully I will get no worse in the mean time and my ferretin and saturation levels continue to drop further down from 451

i hope this is a help

Bestwishes

Ann

• Posted

If you had liver issues, then most likely your high ferritin was caused by these. Also you did not say what HFE genes you had, which can make a difference. Your diet would reduce and 'cure' a fatty liver, i.e. elimination of sugars and starchy carbs which will help reduce ferritin.

However, research has found that reducing foods with iron in it makes very little difference to uptake of iron. Besides, every natural food has iron in it with the exception of some cream cheeses and whisky and we can't survive on that. We also need natural iron to keep our Hb in a healthy range.

Calcium is the only 'food' proven to reduce the uptake of iron, but be careful of when you take a supplement as it can also reduce the uptake of other important minerals. We do like to feel proactive by drinking tea, coffee with meals, eliminate high vit C fruit juices, and a small glass of red wine for its polyphenols. Whole fruits and vegetables high in Vit C are ok because we are not normally going to eat the same amount that are in juices.

Antioxidents ACE are very important, so I take my Vit C last thing at night otherwise with my damaged immune system, I end up with a sore throat/cold etc, which will increase my ferritin level anyway.

Cooking from scratch is a huge benefit as most often packaged foods contain added iron, salt, sugar, etc. Also, multi vitamins should be checked for the inclusion of iron. This I expect that you have done and if you were taking them before, elimination will make a big difference.

You are doing so well treating your liver, but I would like to hear more detail regarding your HFE genes, and your TS%, the level of which can make a big difference too.

• Edited

unfortunately Sheryl i don't have all my readings and info with me as we were supposed to be just taking a couple of weeks break away. i am also new to this and as i didn't have any help and guidance from my GP had to take matters into my own hands. I hear what you say and eat and drink pretty much all you suggest. i just think it is good to try and take some responsibility for ourselves which you clearly do as complementary to treatment.

i like the way you take your vit c and will endeavour to do that from now on.

i am homozygous c282y and think my saturation level has reduced down to 55% if my memory serves me correctly but don't have all readings here to give you.

Can't wait to start treatment but have to get home first! Any help and advice for a "beginner" always welcome

• Edited

Educate yourself by reading medical research rather than blogs so that you know more about haemochromatosis than your dr does. That way you can be proactive. I record my bloods and vx on a spreadsheet so that I can see how it is trending. (Been doing this for 22 years now). You can add a small note about how you are feeling or anything that was different to normal.

Have a vx after a meal, failing that at least a snack. Lots of water, although I find that as soon as I drink water, I pee it out. Have since read that drinking milk (I drink soy) watered down contains some substance that remains in your system. You might find some alternative that suits you but beware of all the sugar in a juice.

Don't get hung up on health issues that occur from having haemochromatosis and want your dr to treat it differently because you have GH. Just keep having your vx regularly, and get the health issues treated in the normal way as if you did not have GH.

Contact your country's haemochromatosis association for all the information that they make available to you. If your dr does not seem to know what you know, give him printouts, booklets, etc from the assoc.

I have 3 monthly vitamin B12 enzyme injections even though my blood level is within the reference range, and also Vit D3 forte drops because my body does not absorb Vit D from tablets (or the sun). When my blood got thick and hard to vx, I started taking 100mg aspirin a day.

Feel free to ask further questions as they arise.

Are you stuck in Spain because of Covid-19? We were planning to go to France in May, absolutely everything prepaid except for meals and incidentals. Now will have to fight to get refunds as travel insurance won't cover pandemics and CV. The world will be in a mess for a while.

Good luck with your treatment.

• Posted

Hi Sheryl

wish i had known many years ago like you. I have had AF for about 8 years now . i had to have a cardioversion last year followed by a second ablation and i found out i had HH after more thorough blood tests towards the end of the year.

I agree that medical info is the way forward and yes i do keep a record of all my tests now so i can see how i am doing. if we don' t do it noone else will!

I do take BP meds and an anticoagulant so am careful about supplements esp now i know i have HH.

I expect i will learn more as i get into regular phlebotomy. i will ask for blood tests to include vit and mineral levels so i have a better idea if the balance is right.

please tell me what is vx? Not up to speed with all the jargon yet!

I am lucky to have a little house in Spain so it is like home from home but yes we are on lockdown due to coronavirus. we have a flight booked back to UK but not holding our breath it will take off, not so important as we are retired. I have hospital appts mid April but who knows it may be better to stayhome than risk that environment.

• Posted

My HH journey is much older than my diagnosis. I had to have a hysterectomy at age 39 and I immediately started loading iron. However, it took 9 years of severe symptoms to be diagnosed which occurred when one of my hips broke up from avascular necrosis. My blood was so thick with iron particles that it blocked the finer capillaries that fed the bone, so the bone died. After replacement, my other hip broke up too. I was so severely tired I was staggering and slurring, constant chest pain for 12 months, and all over body pain. Google did not exist back then. The chest pain gradually dissipated with vx. The fatigue and body pain never left me, but after having to give up work, it is easier to cope with. I have short days.

Vx is short form for venesection. I don't understand why you were informed to drop tomato sauces. It is not in my hemochromatosis cookbook produced by a member of the Iron Disorders Organisation. It has Vit C, yes, but it is made from whole fruit. While I don't use the recipes in the book (it is American), the book is very informative about why various natural foods are ok to eat. They have their own built in iron uptake reducer enzymes and minerals.

Be aware that any infection/inflammation will increase your ferritin level (even a 'simple' cold), then reduce when that issue is cured. You have a hard decision to make - once you leave Spain you may not be allowed back for an indefinite time, and the UK looks like it does not plan on doing any containment. Taking Vit C is more important than getting any infection.

Good luck.

• Posted

Our home is in England which is where i am booked in fir treatment.

Your journey has been a very tough one, although i have AF i consider myself lucky when i read stories of other peoples' experiences as i have little other symptoms i can complain about.

my understanding is that raw tomatoes are fine but when cooked they help to increase iron overload. The caratenoid lycopene in tomatoes becomes concentrated when they are cooked, increasing iron absorption and cooked toms tend to be high in iron so eating them raw is a better idea. A different spin on things i guess.

Keep safe, keep well

regards Ann

• Posted

In my book it says, cooked tomatoes (which are high-acid) become high in iron if cooked in an iron skillet/pot, same as any food cooked in an iron pot. Cooked tomatoes become high in beta-caratene compared to fresh, and b/c "significantly increased absorption of the metal. B/c generally overcame the inhibitory effects of phytates or tannic acid depending on their concentration." However, b/c is an excellent anti-oxidant and naturally occurring b/c or vitamin E (and C) in foods should not be restricted from the diet." But they don't become higher in iron, except when they absorb iron from an iron pot. Tomatoes have 0.4 nonheme iron per cup and 17.0 Vit C compared to white potatoes being 0.8 and 26.0 milligrams of Vit C but heaps more carbs/sugar. So it is up to you to decide if you don't mind a smidgen of extra iron, compared to the health benefits of b/c.

The highest heme/nonheme iron is in clams - a whopping 10/15 per 3 ounces!!! It is so high I think it is a typo. So if clams are in abundance where you live - take care in case it is true. In comparison, the dreaded liver is 3/4.6, compared to 3 ounces of tender loin which is 1.35/1.3 which is the highest of other red meats. Venison is higher though.

A vx removes the equivalent of about 50 steaks so there is no worry about eating red meat while having vx, which in your case is not yet happening.

Regards

• Posted

Our home is in England which is where i am booked in fir treatment.

Your journey has been a very tough one, although i have AF i consider myself lucky when i read stories of other peoples' experiences as i have little other symptoms i can complain about.

my understanding is that raw tomatoes are fine but when cooked they help to increase iron overload. The caratenoid lycopene in tomatoes becomes concentrated when they are cooked, increasing iron absorption and cooked toms tend to be high in iron so eating them raw is a better idea. A different spin on things i guess.

Keep safe, keep well

regards Ann

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.