Genetic testing

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am just wondering whether anyone has had genetic testing to rule out causes of fatigue? Myself and my brother both suffer with extreme triedness and I'm wondering if it's worth asking for it to be investigated down the genetic route.

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I think my dad has ME too, although he won't go to the doctor to have it diagnosed. His symptoms sound the same as mine. I think there's possibly a genetic link.
  • Posted

From what I understand, genetic testing is still in the beginning stages. It's of course, very useful for finding the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes, which cause breast cancer. I've never heard of it being used in the way you describe. 
  • Posted

it's fairly well established/accepted within the ME/CFS community (anecdotally speaking) that there's most likely a genetic component in ME/CFS as many families have more than one person affected with the condition. however, scientificaly speaking, i'm not aware of any research conducted in this area.

Caitlin

• Posted

Yes, there is likely a genetic component. But I don't think that component has been found.
  • Posted

Hi Rachel

I understand where your coming from. Myself and my Dad experienced similar anxiety related conditions, I went one step further with CFS and I'm sure there's a predisposition to it.

Although, I don't think there is a routine screen for a "CFS gene". I'd imagine there's more than one gene involved, too. Let us know what you hear back.

• Posted

I can see where you are coming from, as one of my sisters and myself have both suffered from same....and if you paralell our lives, we both studied and worked hard...if not genetic exactly, maybe similar personalities secumbe to these illnesses???  My sister says she is now feeling A LOT BETTER now that she has learn't "to put herslf first" more often, and moved to a Very quieter area to live...no more stressors.....Bron
  • Posted

The only genetic type testing i have had is looking for markers for certain autoimmune conditions as my mum has an autoimmune condition, but my tests came back clear.  It looks like a company do gene testing of sorts and there is another project (possibly the human genome project - someone mentioned it on here a few weeks ago not sure if thats the right project) but I think they are currently focussing on cancer genetics for now. 

It might be a possibility in a few years time perhaps, but from what little i've read i don't think they will be able to tell you much at the moment.  It would probably be a waste of your money until more is known about the condition, but if you find out differently please come back on and correct me as I have to admit only recently started reading about it, so don't know that much about it. 

Do you and your brother have much else in common healthwise?  i.e. i have a heart condition and my mother an auto-immune, as a result over the years we have both had to have lots of antibiotics and have both had flu shots since i can remember. I'm fairly convinced my issues are down to antibiotic use/gut bacteria but wander if the flu shot plays a role too.  I guess there could be a genetic link along the line as to why both my mother and i had these conditions but wander if the fatigue might be more related to how its treated rather than a genetic cause as such (not that im complaining I doubt i'd be here today at all without antibiotics)

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the company name as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

I do not need any genetic testing b/c almost all my sbbling have chronic fartigue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.