Genetic testing, how long do results take?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi!

I had bloods done to do the genetic screen for HH just over three weeks ago. I was told at the time they usually take 2 weeks to get back, but the surgery still has no results.

Does anyone have any idea how long the results actually take to come back? I'm in Liverpool but don't know which hospital the tests are ran through as they were taken at a health clinic rather than at the GP itself.

Thanks!

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I'm in staffs. I was told 2 weeks but it came back after a week. I think it just depends where you are and how busy they are. Frustrating though.

• Posted

Thanks!

It really is quite frustrating! It was a long time getting around to the genetic testing being ordered as I moved over from Ireland just as my annual panel back home showed up my iron studies were all over the place so I've had to start over again here...

Just want to know where I stand before I head home for Christmas so I can atleast give a heads up to relatives if they need testing too...

• Posted

Hi sherry,

My sisters took three months and were taken at the hospital. My son was about the same while mine took three weeks. All three of us are in different counties in England.

• Posted

Hi Sherry,

Mine took about two weeks, they had to go by courier to a London hospital as none of the local ones had that facility. So it all depends on where yours had to go I would imagine. Good luck, hope you hear soon x

• Posted

I’m in the US and it onlytook a few days to get my results.
    • Posted

You get much better care also. Although, with nationalized medicine you pay also with extremely high taxes.
  • Posted

Sherry101,

I live in London and my gene test results took about 6 weeks.  It is possible the consultant had them prior to this but I was told it would take 6 weeks and that is when the appointment was set up with the consultant.

At that time the consultant was a gastroenterologist because a gall-bladder scan showed there was a problem with my liver.  Once diagnosed, he then sent me to a haematologist to determine my treatment plan.

After a few venesections my liver was normal again the gastroenterologist discharged me and I see only the haematologist who continues to monitor me every few months.

I always ask for copies of my test results so I can see for myself what is happening and it helps me to decide which questions I ask the consultant when I see her.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.