Genetic Tests

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, i had symptoms of bloating feeling full quickly gas explosions inside stomach , diarrhea after re introduction of gluten recently 

Had been off of it for two years because it helped my symptoms 

However i need to get tested because want to know if I have it 

My mother tested positive for gluten intolerance wasn’t sure what blood test was used. I had genetic testing through 23&Me 

Just said Genotype tags DQ 2.2 and a couple of other results mentioned Celiac but I am not good at interpreting results 

How important is genetic testing in Celiac? Should I just do the blood tests?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I have no knowledge of the DNA testing but I would assume that it is more indicative of a possibility than saying that you actually have it, but I'm no expert.  The blood test is only an indication, some people appear clean on the test but are subsequently diagnosed with coeliac disease.  For a positive diagnosis it is necessary for samples taken during a gastroscopy test to be analysed.  It is also possible to have a sensitivity to gluten without actually having coeliac disease.  You might find it helpful to have a look at the Coeliac UK web site because this has a lot of information on the subject.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.