GENICULAR NERVE BLOCK

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

It's now over two years since I had TKR on my right knee. It has been an absolute nightmare and after demanding to have it removed I was referred to the pain clinic. I was told the pain is from damage to the nerves. I have been given a dose of Duloxetine, which has really improved my walking (magic). However, I am supposed to have this Genicular Nerve Block. I am worried now that it might deaden my knew completely. Has anybody ever had this? I think I just want to keep on with the Duloxetine. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary. OMG you had the implant removed?? Doesn't that mean you've got basically no knee in there?? I've never heard of that! I'm 2.5 years post TKR and it's by far the worst thing I ever did! My knee is so much worse than before the op. They want to do my other knee but no way will I let them touch me again! So now I have 2 almost useless painful knees. I don't know anything about the nerve block. I hope you find some answers to your pain. Take care. 

• Posted

Hi Shan

No I’ve still got the stupid implant.i ve really been to Hell and back for over 2 years.

What they have given me is Duloxetine which has really helped because it’s deadened the nerves. It’s an antidepressant as well which I’m obviously worried about because of getting addicted but the relief from the pain has been wonderful and I can walk a bit better- he wants to do a genicular nerve block which is a series of deep injections which will also deaden the nerves - apparently the nerves were damaged when I had the TKR but as you can’t really see nerves I don’t know what to believe 

I’ve cancelled the nerve block anyway just for the time being until I see how these tablets go because I’m basically scared of losing my leg.

To think I was given the impression this TKR would really benefit me.

He should be struck off-for doing this to me 

I was really a lamb to the slaughter. He destroyed the quality of my life and took away valuable life from me .

Thanks for your reply x

• Posted

Noooooo! Wish I hadn't read your post! I'm waiting to have TKR on my left knee. Where did you have yours done? I'm in the UK.

• Posted

Hi chubby chops

I had it done NHS Direct at Spire Little Aston 

The worst decision I’ve ever made.

I hope you go to the NHS proper for yours x

• Posted

Hi there Mary,12001, wow that's upsetting to know!!! I had my TKR 6 months ago and I am still in pain!!! I had 12 days of skilled nursing care with PT & O T 10 of those days in a row!!! But after that I could not afford the out patient PT, until I got a hardship funding plan, so 6 months later I am in PT it feels good after the session and not so unbareable for the rest of the day, however by next morning I'm back with the pain , seems to be mostly on the right side of my left knee that pains the most, I've been hearing that it takes a good year to feel good again, and definitely by 2 years one should feel 100/ percent better!!! I'm depressed as it is and this has totally put me under , I'm not so sure that the lack of PT was the culprit , because I was in my community pool all summer exercising faithfully! If I don't feel this pain has subsided by then I will have my exrays brought to another Orthopedic Surgeon to review just to see if there was is a problem!!! I also need the right knee TKR and there's no way that I would consider it at this time for sure,! The best of luck to you, and thank you for your information it was very helpful.

• Posted

It’s not to be taken lightly is it?

My surgeon was a rogue. He kept saying you’ll be able to drive in six weeks which gave me (a stupid woman)the impression that I would be better in 6 weeks. Bloody sawbones -I think he just carved my bone off to fit the prosthetic- stupid man but I’m biding my time because I think the truth will come out eventually - I’ve had two years of total misery - destroyed all my general health x

• Posted

Just wanted to add they’re not bespoke prosthetics - there’s about six different sizes on ourNHS and they’re generally made of cobalt chrome 

They filter cobalt out the water in some South American counties because it’s poisonous!!

• Posted

Oh Mary, you really have been through the wars! My implant has always felt way too big for my knee...if that makes any sense. It crunches against my kneecap all the time and sometimes feels like it's about to dislocate. Apparently we are unlucky enough to be in the 20% of patients the TKR doesn't go well for! Yay! cry That's all my surgeon will ever say about it. But to all you other lovely people.....you will probably be in the other 80% that it works a miracle for! I'm sure I speak for Mary too when I say this...for us it is just great to find another patient who is going through a similar journey.....even if it's the journey through hell! Thanks for your posts Mary. I was feeling like I was the only one who has had a horrendous outcome. Stay strong girl! xx

• Posted

No

Afraid to say, we must have got damaged prosthetics. Also they have to fit them into our bodies, so there must be a bit of squeezing and shoving going on. A bespoke one would fit perfectly but on the NHS they only have around six sizes, which is what i was told.

A 'knee' friend told me she had it done privately and before the op was taken to a prosthetic shop so they could measure her and she could feel the weight of the prosthetic etc. She's says she's had no trouble. Still it's too late now.

• Posted

Oh Mary, I'm in Australia and I had mine done through the public health system too...just like your NHS. And there was no fittings for me either! It's a case of "You get what ya get!" It sucks, hey? 😦

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.