Genital herpes

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm 19 years old and I just found I have genitalia herpes. I haven't gotten results back but doctor said she doesn't know what else it could be. I have sores and lesions around my vulva. I feel like my world is over and I'll never be able to be sexual active again. I was with my boyfriend of 3 years and he 2 months ago broke up with me from cheating. I then had unprotected sex with someone new and of course that one time is when I got herpes. I've read others stories but almost all of them were older women...they had their whole life to be ok. I'm so young and in college, I have someone currently I'm seeing and have been blowing him off. I don't trust him enough to tell him but I also don't want to leave him. I'm embarrassed and I feel disgusting. I've been so depressed on top of it. Will I be ok if I use condoms when I'm not having an outbreak? Am I going to be ok? I really need some advice for someone who is younger like me to get diagnosed..

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You need to know which type you have first, but it's probably HSV1 going by your age. Did you receive any oral sex? In any case, I hope your doctor swabbed and typed your outbreak, as the blood tests are less ideal. If it turns out to be HSV1, you should have little to worry about. HSV2 is somewhat more problematic, but not unbearable.

• Posted

My doctor did do a swab. No I did not receive any oral sex. Why is HSV1 less to worry about than HSV2? Won't I still be in pain and have problems my whole life with HSV1? Thank you for responding.

• Posted

gHSV1 recurs infrequently for most people and is less infectious. gHSV2 can recur more frequently and is typically more infectious. However, subsequent outbreaks are usually way milder than the first (in both cases) and there are medications for reducing outbreaks and transmission. But wait for your results first. Hopefully it will be negative for both!
    • Posted

Well considering down there is in total pain and looks like it's definitely one of those two , that is why I just know I have it. Thank you for explaining the difference between the two! Let's hope for the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.