Genital herpes and hair removal.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've had genital herpes now for just over a year. If I don't take suppressants I constantly have an outbreak, soon as it clears up its back again. If I have sex it's triggered, if I get my period it's triggers but my main irritant to it is pubic hair, wether that's keeping it or removing it.

I've started taking suppressants to hopefully keep the outbreaks at bay but I can still feel a bit of irritation, im not sure if it's due to thrush, an outbreak brewing or just because I've been afraid to shave.

If you get outbreaks what is the best type of hair removal to do without causing as many outbreaks?

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I'm actually wondering about the same thing. The first time I found out I have HSV2, it was 2 weeks since my last laser hair removal. I'm not sure about you guys, but when I feel the hair growing, it's reall itchy.

I think my first outbreak is almost over and I have an appointment for another IPL in two weeks. Is it safe for me to do it? Or should I just leave my pubic hair to grow?

• Posted

I would delay your appointment. Two weeks after your first outbreak is not long at all and IPL or laser hair removal is highly likely to trigger a recurrence, as it zaps your skin. Personally, I'd wait till you have full antibody protection (4+ months after acquiring gHSV2), then take the antiviral meds as a prophylaxis before your appointment to prevent an outbreak. Or see how it goes without any meds the first time.

• Posted

The least triggering option is to trim. If you are very easily triggered, as seems to be the case, then it's better to avoid irritating/traumatising your skin, which shaving, waxing and the like can do. Trimming does not affect the skin. If suppressive therapy helps, you can try other options.

• Posted

Does anyone else find as a female that sex is now quite painful?
    • Posted

I wish I know that

I'm having a hard time meeting people and tell them the truth about my status so I just decided not to have sex at all

I never had it outbreak but I have a constant vaginal irritation since my diagnostic back in September 2016

Does anyone experiencing the same thing ??? I went to three different doctors none of them can find out what's the issue

• Posted

I have constant irritation and I found out it's because my herpes also triggers me to have Thrush, so you may be having this also. If you have suppressants anyway see if that helps, if not just get thrush cream and tablets

• Posted

Thank you for this information is there a particular one you would recommend???

On the counter or prescription?

• Posted

You can get them from the doctors but now I just go to my local supermarket and if it's really irritated I get the canisten duo tablet and cream and if it's not so bad I just put a bit of cream on for a few days to see if it helps.

• Posted

Also try washing with feminine hygiene washes only, the vagina is so sensitive and even more so when you have an STI so normal soaps can really cause irritation
    • Posted

I used nystatin and triamcinolone acetonide cream for 3 days it didn't work

I will start again tonight for a longer period of time and see if he does help

Thank you

• Posted

And yesterday the doctor gave me fluconazole, the 1pill

It supposed to wk after few days

I'm hoping and praying it does

• Posted

If it doesn't clear it up you could have BV which is also a common thing to get. But try the pill and cream for the external and internal thrush. If after a week this does nothing then go to your clinic, not your GP and they can test you for other things like thrush, BV and possibly other STIs if necessary

• Posted

I've had hsv2 for 5 years now. I can honestly say that hair removal definitely will trigger a breakout. For me the only way to not get a breakout is to be on the antivirals everyday. 500 to 1000 mg. If I want that clean look without the obvious signs of a breakout, I must, must be taking the Valtrex. I've also found that lysine taken when you've got that slight tingle helps a lot. And watch your caffeine intake also!

• Posted

I’ve only ever been given Aldara & warticon by the doctors, neither have been very successful or have caused major skin irration. Can anyone recommend anything else that they find works for them? Also I really want to get a wax (my first eve) before my holiday but worried I can’t with an outbreak?

• Posted

hiya! hope you're all okay!

i would just like to know what's everyone's opinion on Nair? Like hair removal creams please?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.