Genital HSV1 and transmission

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hiya

Yesterday I was diagnosed with genital herpes type 1.

A week ago I've had multiple lesions and blisters around and on my vulva; I've had unprotected oral sex preformed on me, by a person (kind of a one night stand) that obviously either doesn't know he has oral herpes or he just didn't want to tell me.

My first outbreak happened few days after. It was painful as hell, to say the least

I started taking Acyclovir on the second day of OB and all my sores have cleared now. Thank universe

I am concerned about the transmission when it comes to genital HSV1. Obviously, protection should always be used (condoms) and sexual contact should be avoided during outbreaks but what about oral sex? I'm aware of dental dams, but what if they're not used? I've tried to find information on this but I wasn't that successful.

Boy, it feels sh*tty to have this thing

Why can't we just enjoy sex without any repercussions and consequences. Utter bummer

Good luck to everyone

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I have type two so I don't really know how to speak on that topic . I know that someone could possibly get oral herpes if they give you oral sex and you are shedding some how .

I never knew that having cold sores and giving oral could get someone herpes genitally wise for life that is a total and complete utter disgrace

Did you talk to the person about it ? What did they say ?

• Posted

Yeah I know about shedding whether it's symptomatic or asymptomaticrolleyes

Thank you for saying that, I completely agreesad

But yes, HSV-1 may also be transmitted to the genitals through oral/genital sex and it seems about 40% of genital herpes is caused by HSV-1!!!

I feel horrible, as anyone that got herpes does. So the best oral sex I received, and I get herpes because of it; story of my life haha

I haven't told him anything yet, but I will and pretty soon cause he might really not be aware of it and he is really really into giving oral pleasure. I feel obligated to say something but im trying to postpone the awkwardness. Ugh i wish he was an a**hole, but he's a cool bloke (unless he knew he has herpes)

Eh life

• Posted

What if I give oral sex to a partner that has gental herps, and I don't have anything, will I receive it
    • Posted

Yea, you may get herpes but this 'may' is still questionable, that is, I can't find official statistics or some research on genital HSV-1 transmission, that's why I came here in hopes of someone enlightening me

• Posted

I also have the same thing. I got it on my genitals from oral sex as well. There really isn't much information on the internet but did get some info from my dr. Yes you can give someone oral Herpes from them giving you oral. Unfortunately. I have heard of the dental dams but never used one or looked in to it. However. At least this virus isn't in the blood just the anti-virus so from what I understand we can still kiss and perform oral because we don't have it on our mouths. We just have to be careful during sex. I guess the plus side with what we have is most people only have the first initial outbreak and then don't have any after that. I was diagnosed almost 7 months ago and has the first outbreak in October and have not had any other outbreaks or any symptoms. I also do not take any mess with t because I chose to see how my body responds. I have also read that it is harder to transmit the virus from female to male. Also it will deal with less shedding because of where we have the virus it doesn't survive because of how warm it is down there. I don't know if I have really helped or not but if you have any other questions I will try to answer them based on the information I was given.
    • Posted

So did your doctor mentioned if you give your partner oral sex and you didn't have it would give you a higher percent of getting herps...I give oral to a women who didn't tell me until later she had it and I haven't had any signs yet..plan on going to the doctor this week..
    • Posted

Thank you for that I haven't found anything on the internet and i was diagnosed today and i feel like crap panicking waiting to talk to my Dr. she never returned my called but you have made me feel alot calmer because i never had an std.

• Posted

Just noticed this post. No he didnt anything about that. Just from what I have read we can still get both hsv-1 and hsv-2. I do not know if it makes us more susceptible to it or not. I guess I have gotten mixed reviews with that. Some say we are at greater risk because we already have it but I have only seen it referred to people with hsv-2.
  • Posted

Ive tried researching statistics on this matter too. (I have GHSV 1) and it seems like most of the info out there is for GHSV 2. It seems ( to me anyways) like not a lot of research is done or GHSV1 because its not viewed as being that serious and it doesnt transmit easily or as someone said in this thread we never experience an OB again. Which still sucks because i wanna give any potential partner the right facts.

The only informations i have clear is that

1) with type 1 i have read it is very hard to pass on to someone else through genital to genital contact. Its mostly transmitted from oral to genital.

2) i have read that only 20% of those with GHSV 1 shed the virus, and even then the shedding that occurs isnt much. I also read in a seperate article that those with GHSV1 shed on only 5 percent of days in the year. Which is why its hard to do studies on people with genital type 1

3) i THINK the statistic is also that %50 of people with GHSV1 never experience an OB again.

Sorry my post is kinda long but i wanna guess....if we rarely shed the virus if we shed at all then it shouldnt be likely that we wouls pass it on to somone of they give us oral??

• Posted

Hey,

I believe I have ghsv1 also, and it's really annoying that there isn't much information online about transmission etc of ghsv1

I've recently started seeing someone, we have had protected sex but also a couple of times unprotected! I haven't told him either!! Which I feel absolutely dreadful about but I just don't know how to tel him! Also I'm not sure how serious this relationship is!

I just wanted to know if you have read ghsv1 transmission from female to male stories? Me believing he doesn't carry the virus?

• Posted

There really isn't much out there. From what I have been told by my OBGYN and the little bit that I have seen online is that there is about a 5% chance of passing it on to your partner (female to male) if you take other medicines to prevent outbreaks (which with hsv-1(g) you may not have another one or as little as one per year) it could be lowered to 1%. But also female to male transmission is very rare. It is harder for a male to get it from a female then it is for a woman to get it from a male. This is because a woman has more of an open surface that makes it more susceptible for a women then a littl area that a male has

• Posted

Hey there I also contracted hsv1 genital by my fiance who performed oral sex on me recently. So dont feel alone. It gives me some type of relief to know someone who also have hsv1 genital. I have research that hsv1 genitally rarely sheds and cause recurrent outbreaks since it isn't in its preferred spot.And I don't know how much of a fact that is but I would really hope that information Is accurate. And I would really hope that hsv1 genital transmission is rare if the other partner has hsv1 orally and in my case my fiance have hsv1 orally (cold sore virus On mouth) . I have been really struggling to come in terms with This virus.

• Posted

Just disclosed to a new partner who is very young and I'd like to give him more information but most what I find is HSV2 and I have genitals HSV1 , and I take daily valtrex which I understand makes transmission from female to male extremely unlikely like you post above. I just wish I had something besides just info from me. Is there any source you found that gave you that info? Thank you so much!

• Posted

Hello. I also have Hsv-1 on the genitals. When I was first diagnosed I really couldn't find anything. Now it's almost 2 years (in October) that I was diagnosed I keep looking online and now there is more information. What I did recently to get some more information was google have-1 genital and a whole bunch of websites come up. There is one in particular that I think would be beneficial to you it goes over the myths vs facts of the type that we have. It also compares it to regular genital herpes. Being that we have oral herpes on the genitals this strain doesn't like being on the genitals as it is supposed to be on the mouth. So because of this it doesn't survive as well that's why we don't shed or have as many outbreaks as even oral herpes or regular genital herpes. We shed only a few days out of the year and most of the time only have one outbreak or maybe one per year. I have only had my initial outbreak and no other symptoms or outbreaks since. I do notice I am more sensitive down there especially when it's that time of month I wear pads so my skin seems extra sensitive with the rubbing and stuff but other than that I have had nothing. I told a guy that I really care about that I have it and he does not have it and he can't get it out of his mind that I have it so we don't have sex. I will give him oral and we will kiss but he can't seem to bring himself to go any further and I know this is why we never moved forward and became boyfriend/girlfriend. It's frustrating but at the same time I understand. A 1-4% chance of getting it is a big deal when you don't have it. I am glad that you found someone (even though they have a different strain) they are still open to the idea. I hope this helps you. The website I was talking about is www.herpes.org.nz. Still google have-1 genitals and that gives you some really good information also. Glad to help.

• Posted

Hi. Today I was just diagnosed with HSV 1 on my genitals. Last weekend I receieved oral sex from this guy who I had recently met. I read your post and I feel like I am in the same position you were. Iw as wondering how you told they guy and how did he react? This kid was really cool but I'm nerous for how he'll react because if I was being told from someone I recently met that I could've give them herpes I would feel accused and angry and I want to try to tell him this as calmly as possible. Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.