genric pregabalin feels very different to lyrica

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I haven't been on here for about a year as I'd given up asking if anyone felt different on the generic pregabalin ....as I couldn't find any one who did. ..but now I see there are! Professional people keep saying that there is no difference, I am wondering if anyone here has been prescribed it for anxiety because when I have taken the generic it actually makes me feel very anxious and on edge!  it's a sort of physical feeling  of anxiety in my chest. Lyrica  should never makes anyone feel this , Does anyone else have the same experience ? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The generics of Pregabalin are full of fillers like magnesium stearate, talc, binding agents etc. and some people are sensitive to these. The powers that be state that the Pregabalin generic itself is the full and proper dose and therefore all should be ok. I cannot take Pregabalin Venteva or Mylan - both generics. However, I know several patients who have taken Pregabalin for Anxiety and initially it helped them - then their anxiety came back doubled and along with other side effects that they experienced they decided to taper down and off this drug. Pregabalin was never meant to be given for Anxiety (initially it was to control seizures), and it is being given as 'off label' treatment for many things now including your problem. You mention a feeling of anxiety in your chest and I have heard this mentioned as a side effect before, sometimes accompanied by a fast pulse/heart ,. Yet tests do not show anything. You are right Pregabalin/Lyrica should not make you feel like this! Do you mind if I ask how long you have been on this drug and at what daily dose? Also, do you suffer any other side effects such as brain fog, confusion, memory loss, sleep problems.......? 

You may have reached a toleration point with this drug, or have become more sensitive to it as time has gone by. I have been on it for nearly 3 years and am now slowly and carefully coming off, a few mg's at a time, as I now believe that rather than helping me it is becoming toxic to me. I take it for chronic nerve pain, but would rather have a working brain and deal with the pain another way. Having done a great deal of research into Pregabalin I know that it affects the brain chemistry and central nervous system within one week of taking it, it stops our brains forming new synapses, taking over various functions that the brain would normally cope with. Patients very quickly become dependent on it and although Medics will tell you that it is not 'addictive' I beg to differ. If you suddenly stop taking it (going cold turkey) it can cause seizures and this is stated on the leaflet that comes with it. I put on 3 stones in weight during my time taking it and now that I am close to getting off it I have already lost 2 stones. It does cause weight gain even though Doctors will tell you that you are just eating more than normal food. Not me, I never changed my eating habits at all. 

There is a lot to think about and perhaps you could do some research yourself so that you are able to form a proper opinion about whether or not to carry on taking it, especially as it doesn't seem to be helping you any more. I don't think that is due just to being given generic versions to be honest. If you do get concerned about the anxiety feeling in your chest and any associated symptoms perhaps go and see your GP in case it is not Lyrica related. I really hope that you can resolve your anxiety issues soon and wish you well. 

• Posted

Thanks ..just needed to know that it hgot other stuff in it ..t's obviously not as good as lyrica and I'm hoping that I can still get it in the future as it helps me for different reasons etc doctors need to realize that and admit it's different and understand that some people are affected by the additional ingredients in the generic ..I'm sorry I can't tell you about me .but thank you for replying thank you .

• Posted

That is fine, privacy is so very important! I'm afraid that in the UK we are being fobbed off with the cheapest of the cheap generics because the NHS is so desperately underfunded. My Chemist of many years standing can no longer get me the Pregabalin I started on and I react quite badly to the ones he is being forced to give me. I'm not sure the patient has any power over this at all. Thank goodness I am nearly off the drug but I do feel for others who are struggling. Fight your corner if you can and I wish you better health and happiness in the future.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.