gentamicin treatment for vertigo caused by Menieres disease

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone had this treatment for vertigo? Did it help or last? Did you experience additional hearing loss?

My ENT wants to discuss other options because vertigo has returned 7 months after the sac decompression. I had another MRI recently and the VNG test. VNG test itself caused some additional disturbances with the vertigo and balance. Hoping things will settle before my appointment.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hi,

I had two gentamycin injections 8 months ago for severe menieres when i was experiencing two to three attacks a day. The result was dramatic, the attacks stopped and I have not had an attack since. However the gentamycin does destroy the inner ear and I lost all hearing and balance. I have learnt to manage without balance but it is not perfect. My hearing has been restored with a cochlear implant.

I have no regrets and am pleased that the menieres episodes have stopped and I have my life back.

Good luck with your decision.

• Posted

Thank you. Sounds like it does work . I loss substantial hearing with the sac decompression . Did not want to lose more. I am still having some trouble balancing. Vertigo attacks are so unpredictable.

• Posted

It made my tinnitus worse and the ear fullness remains. The cochlear implant stopped the tinnitus for me although it doesn't for everyone.

• Posted

hi Rubye. Really sorry to hear your vertigo has returned! I hope you can get whatever treatment you need to get them under control again. Take care.

• Posted

yes, I'm feeling really well thanks!

I still haven't got rid of the few lingering symptoms - ear pressure which is reducing my hearing by a lot, tinnitus, and some sound distortion which leaves music sounding a bit off. Keeping fingers crossed they'll go in time. I've had to pull out of my choir and really want to get back to it. But I'm very grateful for being as well as I am.

I hope you start feeling better soon.

• Posted

I've had Meniere's for almost 30 years. About 5 years ago I had gentamycin injections in my ear. Didn't help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.